Arthroscopic release of Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 3 users are following.

I originally posted this in another thread but felt it needed a topic in it's own right.

Day 1:

The surgery went very well & 100% ROM achieved. Started physio almost immediately which was totally pain free as a nerve block was administered. The anaesthetist, lovely man, popped in & connected me to a pump to keep the nerve block topped up. My arm could be moved in directions that it had not been to for months, weird sensation, no control but still pain free. I took control of the dead arm & moved it every hour. \"There's no way you're going to get a chance to refreeze\" I kept telling it!

Day 2:

The lovely man came to take my pump away, not sure if he's still as lovely!!!!! I started taking strong pain killers in readiness for the block wearing off. 2 hours later I began to feel my fingers & some pain. Still moving shoulder at every opportunity, in between physio visits, she was still v pleased.

Day 3:

Yes there is pain, lots of it, but it's a different sort of pain, short lived & only when moving my arm. Before being discharged, the physio came to visit & I demonstrated my fingertip wall walking abilities. She says I am doing soooooo well. I can get my arm to 12 o'clock front & sideways, behind my back level with tummy button. I am looking forward to sleeping??? in my own bed tonight & not being disturbed every hour or so for obs! Happy to be at home with Hubby & Kids, all doing their bit to look after me.

Day 4:

Slept reasonably well. Very stiff & painful until meds started kicking in. Did pendular exercises to warm up then began in earnest with the stretches. Saw the outpatients physio for the first time. ROM 130 degrees to front & side. 1 tear managed to squeeze out of my eye during session due to pain, she was really giving it some tho'. Bit disappointed with ROM but hey it's early days. Have some numbness in forearm down to tip of thumb, might still be some risidual pain block.

Day 5:

Less uncomfortable on waking. Warm up & stretches followed by a lovely long shower. Managed to shave underarms very easily. Stretched in the shower. 2nd visit to physio, ROM 150 degrees front not sure about side. Bruising now visible beyond the dressings. Getting dressed & undressed so much easier now, not quite \"normal\", still doing the T-shirt tango!

Day 6:

Saturday, no physio, thank goodness. I know it needs to be done but I am truely grateful for a couple of days off! Almighty crack from the shoulder when I woke up this morning, felt better for it but what was it????

Tramadol + paracetamol, warm up, stretches, shower. Feels pretty good today. Quite sore in a pulled muscle way but none of that jarring that builds up until you want to pass out sort of pain. Did some laundry, ironing usual weekend sort of stuff. Trying to do stretches at least 5 times a day. Feel on top of the world. Numbness in forearm wears off until I start stretching.

Will be back to update in a few days.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi

So pleased things are going well for you and also that you have taken the time to post and let others know of your progress.

Would be interested in hearing who referred you for the operation as I am seriously considering talking to my doc about it. I have been having physio of a few months now and its just not working. I am so doped up on pills and potions that I dont know what day it is half the time.

I know that there are no guarentees with the op but anything would be better than the pain and depression I am suffering now.

Look forward to your next update.

Keep well

• Posted

Your shared advice on arthroscopic release was very interesting to read. I am due to have a MRI scan following my fracture 6 months' ago and subsquent frozen shoulder. Physio, acupunture, a steroid injection have not worked. I will be having the same procedure as you but also an MUA. Did you have an MUA as well? Was your procedure a day case? Was it done on the NHS? When do they anticipate your full recovery? I have had 6 months of pain and are optimistic for a complete recovery. So please continue to share your journal with all us fellow sufferers.
  • Posted

Your shared advice on arthroscopic release was very interesting to read. I am due to have a MRI scan following my fracture 6 months' ago and subsquent frozen shoulder. Physio, acupunture, a steroid injection have not worked. I will be having the same procedure as you but also an MUA. Did you have an MUA as well? Was your procedure a day case? Was it done on the NHS? When do they anticipate your full recovery? I have had 6 months of pain and are optimistic for a complete recovery. So please continue to share your journal with all us fellow sufferers.
  • Posted

Hi Lisbeth,

I had MUA & debridement. My treatment was carried out at Bupa but as a NHS patient. I was in for 3 days. My surgeon did not discuss recovery, I will be seeing him next Tuesday. Someone asked about who referred me in a previous post. It was my GP, not sure if it is permissable to name names on this forums. My original problem was impingement & I underwent subacromial decompression surgery in which the surgeon removed the hooked acromium & cleaned up the bursa, that was in June. I was then left with FS.

Week 2:

Physio still painful and range of movement stuck at 150 degrees to front & 140 degrees to side. Sleeping much better, but dread waking up wondering if I will have seized up. I still begin stretches with pendular swings. Physio reckons it's a fine line between doing too much & causing inflamation, and doing too little.

Have had some strange \"twangs\" recently, uncomfortable when they happen but not particularly painful.

When I am doing my stretches I feel like I acheive 180 degrees but then I catch sight of myself in the mirror & get slightly disheartened.

I am still glad I had it done because ROM is definitely better & the pain is predictable. Will be driving as soon as I stop taking the Tramadol, good stuff!!!

Will be back next week to update after I have seen the surgeon.

• Posted

Did you have muscle wastage to contend with as well? Although I am still continuing with my physio at home, I do have some muscle wastage and was told by the Registar that this would take at least another 6-9 months to sort out. I am looking forward to driving again and having a normal quality of life and being able to return to work.
  • Posted

Hi Lisbeth,

I do have muscle wastage. My shoulder problems stretch back over 9 years so I guess it will take time to re-educate these muscle. My physio is very good at explaining how to isolate certain muscles and has used taping in the past as part of the re-education process. I have scapular winging in both shoulders. To add to my problems I also have thoracic outlet syndrome so I am particularly weak in the shoulder region.

How long have you been unable to drive for? Is this due to the fracture or FS?

• Posted

Thank you so much for all your input, it is a great help to me and others. I have been unable to drive since my accident, as only 7 weeks after the fracture my shoulder became frozen. The physiotherapist thought I had overdone the physio, as I was exercising every 1.5 hours. My consultant said this was a ridiculous statement! To be honest you hear so many conflicting reports from physiotherapists you are not sure what is the best way. All my movement is from the thoracic joint and therefore the pain builds during the day. I have 0 movement from the shoulder joint itself. Any repetitive tasks cause shooting pains across both shoulders. Therefore I am unable to work and drive. My poor husband has had to do a lot of running around for me. I miss work and am very keen to return. I don't know about you, but I feel that I have been left to get on with things pretty much. Physio ceased on the 5th Sep. I have continued doing as much as poss myself but as you know only too well about how stiff and stuck the arm becomes as a result. The last 5 weeks of physio consisted of acupuncture only. As I also injured my knee badly bursting the bursa, I am having a different physiotherapist for that. She has felt that I should have had an MRI scan much earlier on and as also dismissed my previous physiotherapist's comments..... As my accident occurred at work, luckily my employer has been wonderfully supportive.
  • Posted

Hi Lisbeth,

you sound in a bad way. No movement from the shoulder must be horrific for you. Have you got a date for surgery yet? Does physio actually help? If it doesn't and gives you more pain, I personally would give it a rest. My surgeon reckons physio in the first phase is a waste of time. I obviously don't know what is going on in your shoulder & this is only my opinion from my own experience. I felt relieved when my physio was stopped.

I was unable to drive for 7 weeks after the first op & it drove me crazy (no pun intended) so 6 months, I can't imagine how you feel. Glad you've got support at home.

The best advice I can give is to keep positive & you'll be amazed how much better you'll feel after the op. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Keep in touch.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, it is very useful. The physio ceased on the 5th Sep and since then I do some exercises to keep everything going i.e stretches/pendulum movements etc However, I now understand why the physiotherapist stopped giving me more physio in the early stages of a FS. This makes sense from what you have told me. To suffer 9 years of shoulder problems must have been horrendous for you. You must be so glad that at last things are picking up for you. This site is so welcome as at least everyone can share their problems. No one knows what this is like until they experience it for themselves. Yes, I have constant pain, but a positive mental attitude is the key - things will get better! I don't have a date for my op, as I have to have the MRI first but have been told this should be before Christmas. Then the results take two weeks. As surgery has been confirmed, I will have it done once they have the results, so early Jan 08..... fingers crossed! Wishing you a speedy recovery!!
  • Posted

Start of week 3:

I have been to see my surgeon today. He is pleased with my progress. I saw pictures taken during the procedure, they showed the full extent & the angryness of the adhesions. No wonder there is so much pain with FS.

He explained that the cracking is due to the shoulder being so loose now that the adhesions have been removed, the joint moves out of it's natural position & \"pops\" back in. The muscles will strengthen in time & hold it in place. He said that on the table I had absolutely no external rotation & now it is almost normal.

Went for physio immediately afterwards. Initial measurements: 140 degrees front, 140 degrees to the side. Still quite painfull during the extreme stretches. Achieved 155 degrees front (best so far) 145 degrees to the side. Pain limits full range.

At the weekend I decided to come of the Tramadol. Big mistake!!!!

Didn't sleep well due to the pain & felt unable to attempt stretches at home. Back on pain killers & feel great. Drove whilst off meds, no problems other than the seat belt catching on my stitches.

Recovery should be within 6 weeks so I am nearly halfway there.

Take care & I will be back soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.