arthroscopic subacromial decompression surgery recovery - overactive traps - I still have pain.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I had arthroscopic subacromial decompression surgery on July 10, 2018 due to injury from Jiu-Jitsu.  I hadn't been doing Jiu-Jitsu long before I had to stop because of the pain.  I believe i hurt it year ago and weight lifting and the Jiu-Jitsu just made it worse anyway.  I did do PT and even after the doctor cleared me to resume light workouts in September I still have pain in the area i had surgery. I would say I have 90% of the full range of motion and I still continue to do all of the PT prescribed stretches to get back to 100% I believe the doctor exaggerated my recovery time at first.  He said it was going to be 6-8 weeks to be fully healed.  Then during my follow up he said I would probably still have residual pain for another two months when I visited him in September.  Searching the internet and reading other forums a lot of these impingement problems are due to overactive traps.  Maybe I should have done rehab before surgery but whats done is done.   My physical therapist has been noticing that the shoulder that i had surgery on is having pain because my traps are firing before my lower traps do when doing over head presses. We've tried dry needling but that is only a temporary fix to relax my shoulder.  Has anyone had this problem I feel that my traps are over compensating for my shoulders weakened state.  Is this a time thing? Did I get butchered?  I guess I can only continue do the supporting exercises to get the proper bio-mechanics when lifting.  I enjoy being active and I'm constantly worried that I will have this nagging pain when raising my arm.  Feels like i just got cut open for no reason.  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had rotator cuff surgery and decompression. I was told at least a year for full recovery and I’d have to do stretches n strengthening exercises the rest of my life. I’m a surfer and a swimmer so I need to be able to use the shoulders extensively. I also have the issues with the traps. Weekly massage therapy helps ALOT as well as CBD salve. It’s just something you’ll have to live with. Now, I’m 63 with arthritis which complicates things but staying active, daily stretches and that salve all work to control pain and full ROM for me
    • Posted

Yeah I'm doing band strength stuff on my shoulder and I try to do my stretches so I can't get back to 100% were I was before.  You made a good point about the CBD oil. I started taking that right after surgery and people asked me was it working and since I've never had surgery before I didn't have a baseline for comparison but when I ran out the difference was night and day.  You are right about the message therapy stuff I need to get that done regularly.  I started using a Therecane to work out the knots but someone else doing it has always provided more relief.  I guess need to be more patient and continue to be aggressive with my rehab stuff.  Thanks for providing some feedback the thought of not being able to stay active is quite bothersome.   

• Posted

Hi Gabe

I had rotator cuff surgery on 2nd July 2018 and have unfortunately been left with a frozen shoulder. Although it is slowly improving I was told that it can take up to a year to regain full movement and strength. Through this forum and other sources of info the one thing I have worked out is that everyone is different and so recovery is very individual. I'm due to start strengthening exercises next week - at the moment they are to gain range of movement - which to be honest is not great! For you, as with me even 13 weeks down the line, I would say it is yet early days. I am having to be SO patient! Going back to work next week after 13 weeks off will be fun! Sorry if this isn't much help, but hopefully it may give you some perspective - they don't really tell you about the post op pain and how long it can really take! I went through the 'why did I bother stage' at about 8 weeks as when the sling came off at 6 weeks - oh boy did the hard work and pain begin! My shoulder is still frozen but I do believe - have to believe - I am getting there - however slowly. My benchmark is that I do now sleep ok after so much pain at night - so I know they fixed it despite the frozen shoulder!

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.