Arthroscopy?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Has anyone had an arthroscopy done? Did the PT, had the injection. Dr says next step is arthroscopy. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Victoria

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Arthroscopy is a surgical procedure orthopaedic surgeons use to visualize, diagnose, and treat problems inside a joint. The word arthroscopy comes from two Greek words, "arthro" (joint) and "skopein" (to look). The term literally means "to look within the joint."

In an arthroscopic examination, an orthopaedic surgeon makes a small incision in the patient's skin and then inserts pencil-sized instruments that contain a small lens and lighting system to magnify and illuminate the structures inside the joint. Light is transmitted through fiber optics to the end of the arthroscope that is inserted into the joint.

• Posted

Hi Victoria, I had a scope last year. It seemed to help with the crepitus but it messed up my overall mechanics of my left knee. My right knee was exactly the same as my left and it now seems that with vro exercises my right knee somehow recovered.  I wished I hadn't had the scope done as I believe it hasn't made mych difference at all ( just out of pocket more).  I read on a site never to get a scope but only if your knee actually locks. I've vowed to myself never to go for any surgery on my knees as I know that the scope didn't do much at all. Have you tried a tens machine its worked for me. Try to preserve as much of your cartilage as you can and don't go rushing into any surgery too soon. Losing weight is also beneficial and will ease your knees. Hope this helps smile

• Posted

thank you. I don't know what vro is. as for the money, I'm all paid up for the year, deductibles met. That won't be an issue either way. My knee does lock sometimes. I never know when it will happen. It's been 2 weeks since the last time and that's good. I have not tried a tens. I did try PT and that made it worse. I see the Dr next week and am not sure what he will say or what I want to do at this point.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.