Arthroscopy, again !!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

Went to see surgeon on Friday after writing him a letter listing down all the problems I am having after having lateral pkr last January. As I am still using crutches and still have pain on standing, sitting, stairs etc. He was very nice and also concerned as obviously I should be sorted by now. Xray is fine and shows nothing untoward. He says I can't have an MRI scan as because of the metal it doesn't give a good reading of what is going on. I am now on the list for another athroscopy as an investigative measure. Has anyone else had an athroscopy on their already implanted knee. I must admit I am a bit nervous about it. He said he hopes that he will be able to see what the problem is during the op and sort it but if not there is a possibility of me having a full knee replacement, Susan.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had an ultra sound, but mine was a full TKR. I had that almost 6 months after the TKR. The consultant radiologist told me straight away that it was "out" (misaligned) & the reason for my pain. I even struggled getting onto the bed for the ultrasound, & needed help from a nurse! I couldn't wait for the follow-up appointment, but the original surgeon tried fobbing me off! Thank goodness for the 2nd opinion (& full leg x-ray) & thank goodness I had the revision last October with a 2nd surgeon. No one should put up with pain for over a year without full & thorough investigation - so at least the arthoscopy will be a good start for you. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Veronica, for your reply. I hope he will be able to see the problem and fix it for me.
  • Posted

Dear Susan,

YES, this happened to me, however I  was two years post TKR, with problems like Bakers Cysts and fluid in the knee.  They finally did my Debridement and synvectomy and that is when they found I had PVNS, about a month ago.  This has been the most painful thing I have gone through yet.  I guess because they go in an scrape off all the scar tissue, etc.  I still dont know what the plan is going forward with the PVNS diagnosis and have a million questions when I see him on the 28th.  I am just now off crutches for the first time in a month and finally weaning off the pain meds except for night, very hard to get comfortable.   I wish I thought this was going to solve the problem, but from what I am hearing on here, not likely.  I guess these scopes are not common in someone who has had a TKR, some exclusive group!!! Good luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

Thanks Sheila, you have certainly been through the mill. Glad you are at least off the crutches. It is such a long, drawn out process, the recovery, especially if things don't go to plan. I wish you well. Susan.
    • Posted

You as well Susan, hopefully you wont end up with same diagnosis, but it is definitely frustrating to have the replacement and end up worse than you  were previously.... Good luck!
  • Posted

I have had MRI's on all my joint replacements, they use a special 

metal suppressant type image....so I didn't nt understand that. 

• Posted

Interesting, when they took an MRI of my knee they said the metal replacement was so shiny it just reflected off the metal like sun rays and nothing was visibile, they didnt say anything about trying a different type image....
    • Posted

Well, just stating what my surgeon told me. He said it is hard to get a good reading with the metal in place.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.