Arthroscopy Meniscus repair three months on and still stabbing pains

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, I have osteoarthitis in both knees and had a partial replacement in one of them two years ago. The other one started to hurt just before the knee replacement but it was a very sharp stabbing pain on the inside of the knee at varying times of the day. That disappeared after the left knee partial replacement was done but a year on from the op, it started again in the right knee and the pains got strong sometimes taking my breath away and I was also experiencing a pain below the knee cap when walking which wasn't good but not as painful as the stabbing pains in the side of the knee. After Xray which revealed nothing other than a lot of wear and tear (expected) and given the right knee wasn't locking or giving out, the surgeon said a replacement wasn't really necessary as there was still a decent amount of good bone but he ordered an MRI which revealed a tear in the mensicus. He offered a complete repair but the recovery was to be 12 weeks on crutches and having to be extremely careful PLUS the success rate was 50/50, the other option was to trim away the torn cartilage and 'tidy up' the knee cap base to stop the pain when walking. I opted for the second however, when the op was done, the surgeon happily reported that there was enough cartilage for him to be able to make a repair rather than trimming it away as well as tidying the knee cap. He said there was no certainty that the meniscus pain would disappear completely but it should lessen. The recovery was a bit slower than predicted. 10 days on crutches and some easy excercises which meant I was back to 'normal' after about 6 weeks but I'd been told not to do any squats for three months and not to 'rotate' on the right knee. The pain at the base of the knee cap has gone completely which is marvelous, but in the last week I've had a few 'stabs' from the area where the incisions were made and on the inner side of the knee where the pains were before. Could this be perhaps the nerves repairing still around the meniscus? I was hoping to stave off another knee replacement for a couple of years. Sorry this is a bit long!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.