Arthroscopy nightmare

Posted , 4 users are following.

In a few words don't do it, I had arthroscopy in October 2014 at Clatterbridge for a miniscus repair and can hardly walk even now with no sign of any recovery, went back twice for post op assessment and saw the Nurse Practicioner who kept saying there is a bit of arthritis in there that's causing the problem ? Never he'd the pain and discomfort before the op so not telling me that the Arthritis came on after my op, probably had it for years so I asked to see the surgeon, which was arranged who said have you had physio?? No! It's never been suggested that I do!! Started physio, had two sessions with a lovely lady who has advised swimming and building out the quad muscles, prior to my op I had a bit of discomfort that was a bind at times but manageable and now I'm thinking I'm going to be disabled as some days I can hardly walk or put any weight on my leg.

the result of having the op has made me much much worse than before and has impacted on my social life, I can't stand for long periods, can't run, can hardly walk some days my knee just gives way.

if you are thinking of having this done to relieve minor discomfort seriously think again and try to put up with it, the worse thing I have done in my life was have this treatment - don't do it!

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hahaha....im only eatin the donuts to fit in with the high end calibre of people on that lovely jeremy kyle show.!!!! hey, im not that bored to watch that rubbish....yet !!!!

i did indeed try swimming..and wont be trying it again anytime soon...couldnt move my leg due to quad atrophy and the resistance of water actually hurt my knee...but aside from that...it was when i tried to get out..(.remember quad atrophy.)..i couldnt...a 17 year old lifeguard had to get the hoist thing to get me out !!!! mortified !!!!so, errr thanks for the suggestion but i wont be trying that again soon!!!!

i like the idea for the A.R.S.E.  website !!!hahaha

erm...by the way, dont know who told you to put crisps on your knee but if they arent working..try hula hoops or wotsits.....

• Posted

Ha ha ha I know it must of been undignified and unladylike  for you but I'd of paid money to see that hoist thing hahaha joke joke, so swimming is out as well I don't think they have a bloody clue what to do post op when it goes wrong argh?? Yep i

ll try the wotsits next time instead of onion rings. . 

Nice to chat by the way, let's hope we get sorted soon sounds like yours is a lot worse than mine my heart goes out to you I know the frustration!

long live the ARSE !,

• Posted

yes....it did cause much amusement at the pool, especially as the toddlers class was just about to start and they were all standing at the window with their parents !!!!

yep...long live the ARSE

good to chat to you too....and dont worry its not a competition to see whos is the worst...but ill bet you a fiver its mine !!! haha..just kiddin

at the end of the day we should all go in for simple routine ops and come out singing and dancing (well, maybe not singing for me ). i sometimes wonder if i would be in this position if i had paid to go private....and what i cant grasp is that im sumhow just expected to accept this situation and say ahh well these things happen. you take care and be sure to post any new developments and then after royal mail has seen them, put them on the website !!!!

kind regards

helen

• Posted

Cheers ! You take care too, hope it gets better soon , keep on eye out on here cos I'm like a dog with the bit between his teeth now ? Stay out the pool!!

cheers

Dave x

• Posted

what have you got between your teeth??? must be those onion rings !!!!

I wont even be going near puddles never mind pools !!!!unless its the football pools and i win .

will try and keep an eye out but i do tend to need both of them each day !!!

good talking to you

Hx

• Posted

Its a good job you yo still have a good sense of humour all the best to both of you regards Bev
    • Posted

hahaha, its sometimes all i feel i do have left !!!!!

all the best to you too

Helen x

• Posted

What was your knee like immediately post op?? There was little or no swelling on mine and not much pain.

I actually ordered some running shoes from my hospital bed I was that confident.

• Posted

Hi Bev

got to keep smiling mate, I really hope you don't have to go through the discomfort for to long fingers crossed your knee is ok, please let me know how you get on I'm going to get my mate to set up a site for us all to keep in touch and off load on? 

• Posted

I sure will just can't wait now for op. Feel like a cripple. Feel for you too. Good idea that 😃.
    • Posted

Agony mate, if it wasn't for my daughter staying the night with me I'd of been in a right mess, my leg swelled about two times it's usual size , I couldn't move or sleep, I've done 6.5 years in the forces and been in a few scrapes and 30 years in the fire service so always been fit and active and this has knocked me for 6 ? I ordered new walking hoots thinking I'd be a lot more comfortable walking etc but my god what a mistake there still in the box? Have you managed to do a run
    • Posted

I'm routing for you ! And hope it goes ok ! I'm sure it will ?
    • Posted

I managed one run about 3 weeks after my op but I was walking after a couple of days for 3 or 4 miles.

It seemed to go wrong when I got full (ish) mobility back.

I'd been moving ok in the ring with the kids on the pads then when I went back to work after 4 weeks, standing up all day didn't feel good at all.

• Posted

Thanks at least we can moan to each other. So bored though just waiting can't manage work as hip and other leg aches as putting all my weight on it. Better than the Jeremy Kyle show 😜
    • Posted

Credit to you mate that's a lot better than others and myself on here are you still suffering or on the mend?
    • Posted

Watching jeremy kyle is plumbing the depths hahaha at least we've only got knackered knees
    • Posted

Ha ha nice one, what do you do for work? Are they supportive of your injury or pressurising for a return to work? I do the same with my right leg, all my weight goes on that even getting up off a seat!! I put all my weight on right side! Def better than Jeremy Kyle? It's been great to talk it other sufferers today makes me realise I'm not the only one? 
    • Posted

I can walk up in the hills near where I live but any uneven bumpy ground does me in.

There are blokes my age at work who are vastly over weight but can bend down on their knees which is a sickener

I think it's the fact that I've always run biked etc etc and can't anymore which is annoying me while people who have been sedentary are fine.

• Posted

Yeah it's annoying one of my mates at work never went in the gym and never had any ailments at all, all of us who have had active life styles are now crocked doesn't seem right and it's not down to us, we go for a routine op and end up worse than before - ludicrous- il be off here now till tmrw eve but no doubt il be back on here moaning - need to come up with a strategy for some kind of action ? The medical procedure must be wrong or outdated for so many ops it have this effect on people! Thanks to all for support and joining in, catch you all soon 
    • Posted

I was a price integrity asst but now a check out chick with as well known supermarket ... Every little helps. Only been off since Monday just found it hard this week with so many aches it hips and legs found it a struggle so will stay off till op on Tues. They are pretty good only been off sick twice in 19 years so have good sick leave.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.