Arthroscopy not as expected? Now what?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had an arthroscopy on my knee because of pain on the medial side. MRI report said meniscus fraying. The Dr told my husband after the scope that he removed a "ridge" and my knee was very healthy. Today was my checkup. I asked about the pictures he had sent home. He showed me everything and explained it all. What he had done was clipped a tendon that is on that side. He said the meniscus was fine. I still hurt on that side/area but not sure if it's from the surgery or the same pain. Also, I used to get a very sharp, stabbing pain at times that stopped my walking. What could have caused that if everything was good? Where do I go from here? Insurance had first vetoed this surgery so I'm sure they won't pay for a second one if there is still pain. Ugh.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I guess I should clear it up, it's not the tendon but a ligament? I think this is what they do to let the patella move more smoothly?

• Posted

Sorry to hear your pain didn't go away. The bad news is you can't get another MRI for at least 6 months. Insurance won't pay! Good news is that you're still feeling pain from the surgery. Use ice and use your crutches! It's still healing and will take a few months to feel better. Don't overuse your knee. Rest and ice. Then you have to wait for months to see if it feels better. I had the same problem after my first scope for a torn meniscus. He took a hanging piece off. I kept going back because it never felt better. They accused me if drug seeking and said don't come back! A year and 3 months later if constant pain, I went back and demanded another MRI. It showed a tear in the exact same spot as the first.Had surgery 2 weeks ago and Yes there was another tear. I think he missed it the first time. Listen to your body and don't give up. Hugs.

• Posted

The swelling is still there. 2 areas in particular. One is lower oustide knee, and that's fluid filled and not painful. The other is inner lower knee and that area IS painful. It is also painful just above the knee, the thigh, all the way around. I go back in just under 2 weeks. Hopfuefully all will be well by then. The Dr said the swelling almost always goes down 2 weeks exactly. So far, no, but we'll see. I hope you heal soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.