Arthroscopy pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, so need some advice. I had r/k arthroscopy (lateral release and catlidge scrape) 2 weeks ago.

got a 2 week sick note from hospital and told any further sicknotes need to go through gp.

So contacted my gp as im still in lots of pain, barely sleeping due to that. My knee feels so weak and unstable :-( i was only able to do an online consult as gp surgery is mega busy. i was given another sicknote but this time stating i may be fit for work providing it only mainly sedentary work. Now i know my employer they will agree to anything just to get me back, only to give me a lot of grief if i cant do something (i am a retail security guard) contacted gp again to explain the situation but he dont seem to be budging on the sick note. What else can i do besides risk my recovery. Its still so swollen amd painful i wish i didnt have this done :-(

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi HC,

I'm sorry that you have had to go though all that bureaucracy. In Australia here, they give you a minimum of 6 weeks for an arthroscope. I could not imagine that you only had two weeks plus you had the lateral release as well.

You need more time to heal your wound, sounds to me that your Dr wants you to get another injury so you can go back and he will have more work at your expense.

Why did the hospital not take any responsibility for any further sick notes. I though the orthopaedic surgeon can give them, even if you do ask for another one again and again.

I think it is extremely unreasonable for them to expect you to go back to work after just two weeks. Maybe contact your medical ombudsman or something that you have over there which can look into your individual situation.

Whatever you do, rest your knee and eat lots of vitamin C rich foods.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hello ren05520

Thank you for your reply.

So ive phoned the hospital and they said they would phone me back (taken dates of surgery ect) however didnt get back to me.

Feels like they done the surgery then out the door and thats it! I remember when i came round from surgery the surgeon came in and said weve done a lateral release aswell as the scrape but will speak more at the follow up appointment. Havent got a date for a follow up yet and no one has mentioned pt :-( i was given tramadol which is great at night but cant take it during the day as im responsible for 2 children. So just taking paracetamol (which dont touch the pain) i just dont know where to turn for help. I didnt return to work as expected yesterday i just phoned and explained i really felt right now i cant return but ill see how it feels in a few days :-( thank you for all your advise :-)

• Posted

Oh no what a nightmare! Well I would schedule the follow up with the Orthopedic surgeon ASAP as that is the doctor who is in charge of your care. They should then send you for PT to get your range of motion and strength back. It can be extremely painful. You should be resting and I in it. Ice helps a lot. Prayers for healing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.