artificial blood vessel usage

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I got surgery for aortic dissection and I have a artificial blood vessel graft in my cardiac aorta.

I have a question here. How many years can I use this artificial blood vessel? Is it for life?

And is there any chance that this artificial blood vessel pull out of original blood vessel? Is it okey if I run on treadmill??

Please answer me. And thank you for reading my post!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi James!

That’s a big deal surgery! I think those are all questions for your doctor. Only he/she knows the status of your vessels and heart. At discharge or your first follow up, that should have been clear... limitations, expectations, etc... If you get his permission to exercise, the ideal thing is for him to write you a prescription for cardiac rehab. That is cardiac monitored, supervised exercising while slowly increasing difficulty. It is covered by insurance after a major cardio event such as yours.. It can give you the knowledge and peace of mind to then push yourself on your own after discharge from cardiac rehab. Good luck! 

• Posted

Hi James 

Was it thoracic aortic dissection or abdominal. you know the precise location? 

Do you know what was the size of aneurysm when it dissected?

You must be talking about the dacron graft which has been used to sew the dissection. Typically graft is very strong , and if you maintain low BP and reasonable healthy life  it should work for your life.

You need to follow up with your surgeon on regular basis though to see the size of the graft and remaining part of your aorta.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.