Artificial kidney

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. Are there any kidney doctors who are enthusiastic with the SF univ research implantable A. kidney? The kidney project site estimates testing in 2017-2018. Or do the renal experts think it a hoax?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

John,

I've mentioned this artificial kidney project  to the nurse who provided my renal failure treatment care education. That was about 18 months ago. She attended the national (USA) nephrologists' convention and said no presentations about this project occurred at that conference. 

I have visited both campus web sites, i.e., Vanderbilt and UCSF. The project is highlighted prominently on both their web sites. So it appears to be legitimate. But they have postponed the human trials on this by one year, moving it one year later. They had said human trials would begin in 2017. From what you've shared they may be postponing human trials further.

They had run into problems with the blood clotting as it would move through the computer chips in the device. The blood flow will provide the power, internally, to keep this small computer working. So I'm not sure whether they've been able to get that resolved or not. I'm also not sure if they've had other issues arise. They definitely had run into some funding issues which I believe have been resolved. 

Had all gone well they had hoped to have these artificial kidneys, small computer devices, ready for use as early as 2020. That seems unlikely at this point.

This project is on the "fast track" for FDA approval in the United States. Insurance companies are strongly supportive and I would assume will begin covering this procedure as soon as possible. It will be cheaper for them than dialysis. And since there is no kidney harvesting (and transportation costs for deceased donor kidneys) I would assume this would be cheaper than current transplants as well. And finally, people who receive these will not need to take anti-rejection drugs as their bodies won't try to reject the device. So the requisite medications for the remainder of life would not be needed, a further cost savings for both patients and insurance companies. All of this is according to various articles I've read about this research project.

Anyway, I've been following this research closely. I'm not sure it will come to a new treatment option for those of us in renal failure, but I'm certainly hoping it or something like it surfaces as a treatment option in the not to distant future.

Regardless, I'm quite sure this is a legitimate research project occurring on two university campuses that are working in collaboration. Should it b come a real possibility, they will move through the process for FDA approval (in the US). Then we should see insurance companies jump in and clear it for coverage. But while I keep an eye on this research, I realize that the likelihood that it will come to fruition in time for me or at all is really fairly slim. So, I am preparing to start PD dialysis and will go through testing to see if I'm a transplant candidate. I'm definitely moving forward as though this research is not underway. It seems to me to be the only reasonable course of action for me at this point in time.

Nevertheless, I think it's worth keeping an eye on the work of this research team🐶

Marj

• Posted

Hi Marj. Pleased you've opted for PD. I was on Hemo for a month and then PD for 15 months and PD is so much better than Hemo. And while you're on PD start looking straightaway for a living donor. Otherwise you might be waiting for years to get a cadaver's kidney. Even then a living donor's kidney is always preferable to a dead donor's kidney. More likely to last longer. Hope this helps michael

• Posted

It would be wonderful if it happen. My two reasons are my 5 yr wait for transplant because I'm a cancer survivor ie can't take immune suppressants. And if the AK were a reality then any morbib fear of kidney rejection would be beautifully safety netted.

Thank you for your response.

Lets keep our fingers crossed

• Posted

Hi,

I had read a while ago about them making a human kidney with a persons own DNA (this would mean no anti rejection drugs) trials for that were supposed to be carried on on humans in 2017 but to be honest I haven't read up on it in a while.  That was in America though.

• Posted

Hi Helen. Hopefully such a breakthrough in the US would filter through to the rest of the world. I'd imagine surgeons would need to be trained in the US.

I hope your transplant is going really well for you.

I'm getting a fistula next month. As much as i hate another intrusion I'm sure I'll be grateful when i feel really ill.

• Posted

Helen, that's a separate research project in the US, I believe. We're not hearing as much about that research project in the IS at this point. But I'm supportive of any research projects that may provide more care options🐶

I have been particularly interested in the research project John has mentioned. It's a small computer device that would be implanted. Very interesting idea and project. But not sure how likely to come to fruition.

Marj

• Posted

Hi John,

Good luck with the fistula, once you have that you will feel a little better of that I can promise you smile. I am doing ok and its really good to feel better.  I am avoiding flu, sick bug and shingles at work at the moment.  I have a really good employer luckily that makes sure I am kept away from such things as much as possible and some really good colleagues that get me drinks and things so I don't have to go near such diseases.  All in all very lucky.  Keep us posted how you get on with your dialysis, haemo works quicker than PD i am told I found I took at least a month to feel any benefit but people on haemo I have spoken to feel better after one or two goes so my fingers are crossed for you xx

• Posted

Thks Helen. My fistula is weird but surgeon is very happy and said it could be used now. Don't carry shopping bag handles over it otherwise life as usual. Extraordinarily lay back instructions. ??

• Posted

Hope you are well and all is ok with your new addition smile also gald you dont have many rules to follow.  Merry Christmas smile 
    • Posted

Helen,

I hope you are doing well--I've missed seeing your posts!

Marj

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.