Artificial urinary sphincter, Aus,

Posted , 8 users are following.

It has been 3 years since i joined the prostate cancer club, just under  3 since i joined the urinary incontinence club due to prostate removal. Now i find myself in another club, The Aus club. i have never been so popular!!!

Any other members out there who can advise, on a few things, I am just over one week post op, had my wounds checked yesterday 20/8/18, all good. I am still a bit swollen and uncomfortable and have been advised switch on is in 8 weeks.

So a couple of questions.....iv been advised to massage the area around the switch, just wondering what this achieves exactly, bit difficult while its so sensitive in that area.

Also the position of the switch in the scrotum is high up is the the same for everyone? My consultant advised me this was normal.

thanks

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all, well my AUS switch on was four weeks ago and wow what a difference it has made. Iv only wore a pad once in that time and that was for insurance....it wasn't needed. It has been that good!!! After 3.5 years of pads, i am99.9% dry.

The only time iv noticed a wet spot are when i wore a certain pair of jeans, the material joint underneath pushed on the collar around my urethra causing it to slightly open. Also when i cough or sneeze.

I have yet to ride a bike, i need to change the saddle first as i want to minamise any pressure on the inflated collar. I will keep you informed how that goes.

Operation is a breeze although you have to be prepared for the initial pressure squirt at the start, iv just had to improve my aim to accommodate.

The post op healing and scars have settled down as has the internal rubbing of the pump switch in the scroate.

So would i recommend it, absolutely, recovery and operation of the AUS is individual i know, but it has worked for me. defiantly worth serious consideration if you suffer with urinary incontinence.

John.

• Posted

im so happy i found this site, there is not a lot information out there from actual people

• Posted

I think you are preparing yourself for the worst instead of fighting for the best. Focus and determination can solve any issues in this life.

• Posted

Massaging tends to relax that part of the body and promote healing and better sustainability.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.