Arvostatin

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been taking this for a few months now and although I know it has reduced my cholesterol, I think it is having a detrimental effect on me. Feeling really numb and low. Hard to feel angry, sad or happy. Also noticing that sometimes I have the feeling like I cannot get enough air into my lungs, like suffocating. Has anyone else had similar symptoms? Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I took this statin years ago and didn't know ..or wasn't told about side effects....even when I couldn't hold a newspaper because my muscles were so weak I never associated the weakness  to the statins....until a gp...not my usual one stopped them...I was on lots of other statins over the years...and even now  after stopping them years ago...I still feel sometimes that I can't take a deep breath....I can't say if it's the statins or old age .....but there seems to be more and more side effects coming to light....statins definitely lower cholesterol....but at what cost....

• Posted

It's definitely statins. At the cost of your quality of life. Not worth it

• Posted

Both my husband and i had side affects from statins,i quit,because he had a heart attack he still takes it. Symptoms for me,tingling and numb feeling arms,legs and feet,very weak muscles,i felt 30 year older,he has numb feet so bad he cant feel the bottom of them,very low testosterone, and has developed type 2 diabetes which i guess has ben linked to statins. Look up user reviews for your statin on the web and see what people say,doctors often deny statins caus issues,also good youtube videos on the net about statin side affects. Good luck. Xx
  • Posted

If you are a Facebook member Leah have a look at a group called Stopped Our Statins and it will give you a lot of information.
  • Posted

Hi Leah - I am a survivor of statins. If you decide to stay on them, pay attention to what your body is telling you. I'm sorry to say but i think there are more health problems ahead. They caused havoc in my life - and made me so vague I didn't put two and two together until two years in. Now, having tossed them just over two years ago, i have only now regained my health. Still side effects, but vastly diminished. Don't let the doc scare you into continuing them if you want to quit. They have an ulterior motive.

• Posted

Join the club !  ditch the statins and continue with good diet.I came off statin after a few months, shoulder pain continues, other other effects as yours still continue but I think other symptoms are slowly diminishing--very slowly. ! Get cholesterol  down naturally with a decent diet
    • Posted

Mike,

i just stopped pravastatin about 4 days ago.  I have take it for several years.  Since stopping it, when I wake up from sleeping on my back my rear end aches, have different joints that are stiff in the morning and muscles in legs, feet and rear end feel like they need to be stretched and a massage.  It feels like something is going on in my knees and calves during the day.  Is this similar to what you experienced.

• Posted

Hi Lulu - it will be a slow process to get back to normal. In the interim there will be issues with withdrawal, but you should be feeling clearer and more engaged pretty soon. I gave statins up two years ago and still wake on occasion with mild leg cramps. The description you give about wanting to stretch and massage I had with my joints. It was chronic and absolutely awful - difficult to describe. I still have shades of that too, but I'm infinitely better without statins. Don't worry, ride it out.

• Posted

I was on Atorvastatin, symptons definitely different, continuing pain in shoulder and arm.

I am a former rugby player and over the years have been kicked and battered from head to toe , the muscle pains I am now experiencing are different, but I think the GP's view  is  that I have pulled a muscle ! I stopped the Atorvastatin after about 8 months -- one GP more or less agreed the other wants me back on them  --my wife is a dietician and I am otherwise pretty healthy,  TIA nine months ago. I am a big fan of the NHS but some of the drug companies have their own agendas ! Get everyone over 50 on a statin ! I wonder why !

I am of the opinion a decent controlled diet is the way ahead. and have ditched the statins for good.

• Posted

Oh, I'm so interested to read this! (tho sorry you've had problems). 

I've been on Atorvastatin since July 2017. Like you, I know my cholesterol levels have come down but wasn't convinced about the side effects. I struggle, sometimes, with sleeping properly, and I think that's on the list of possible side effects - unfortunately, it's on the list for the 3 other meds I take too! but I decided a couple of days ago that the statin was the easiest one to lose, and just dropped it. I haven't exploded yet. 

My mood has been very variable for several months. Now, I have had a bit of a recurrence of an Anxiety and Low Mood Disorder but your comments make me wonder if the Atorvastatin hasn't been helping. I've also had the occasional sense of not being able to take a deep enough breath ~ that really caught my eye in what you said. 

Have you stopped the statin? I'm just about to order some plant sterols, which are supposed to be side effect free. 

• Posted

Yes ! I feel as though I’m suffocating. I’m not sure if it’s the statins but I have other symptoms that are like allergic reactions. Eczema on my eyelids, paitations, shortness of breath .
    • Posted

Hi Carol - yes, yes, yes! Eczema on my face chest and back, and fainting spells are just two of the multiple effects I had. Never in the previous 50 years. Gave them up near 3 years ago - still dealing with some issues, but diminished to a point that gives me hope there is an end to this. Statins are poisoness and there is no evidence they actually prevent any heart attacks or strokes. 
    • Posted

One of my side effects is shortness of breath so severe I've ended up in A&E. they cannot find any obvious cause - I assume it's the statins which I've recently stopped and hope I can get rid of these symptoms and get on with my life. Hope you can too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.