AS and Dyspnea

Posted , 3 users are following.

anyone have AS whit dyspnea and increased breath rate?

does it realted to polmunary issues?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

?  Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you but this is a very timely topic for me right now.  I am definitely feeling breathing related difficulties and I'm also wondering if it is related to AS.  My symptoms include feelings of pressure and/or dull ache between the shoulder blades and around to the chest area.  I also have a sensation of shortness of breath and general difficulty in breathing.    I also feel a vague sensation of irritiation in the lungs.  Several times recently I have awakened in the morning feeling like it's very difficult taking a full breath.  I ended up in the ER two days ago because I was wondering if I was having a pulmonary embolism.  But chest x-ray and CT scan of the chest cavity showed all clear.  No embolism.  No obvious spots or problems with the lungs.  Blood work showed no heart attack, no cardiac issues in general.   I have a previously scheduled appointment with rheumatologist this coming Monday so I guess that is the next step.  Otherwise maybe a pulmonologist.  I also forgot to mention that I have been doing the initial loading dose of Cosentyx for the last four weeks and it was during this period that my lung symptoms have really blossomed.  Maybe a connection there????   Does this sound at all like your symptoms?  Anyone else have something like this?

• Posted

One point of clarity.  I said there was no cardiac issues.  I do have a growing aneurysm at the aortic root but this is not new and it has not changed so I meant no cardiac issues directly causing these symptoms.
  • Posted

I have fusion in the ribs and have expansion of just 0.8cm. I currently get a lot of pain in sternum so imagine fusion is occurring there too. I have asthma, which ironically has improved since starting biologics. I do get short of breath very easily and when I check my peak flow it is reasonably good, so put shortness of breath down to AS. Can often feel like someone is tightening a vice round my chest. Struggle with anything requiring extra effort like stairs or inclines. Not sure if this helps 
  • Posted

Hi Maureen

?  Your situation is the classic AS scenario that I am familiar with.  If you start getting fusion in the rib cage and sternum then your ability to inhale and exhale becomes compromised and breathing problems follow.  I guess though, what I'm wondering  is whether AS has a direct impact on the lungs, maybe through constant systemic inflammation.  I know that AS is tied to certain connective tissue problems for instance like in the aorta.  My aorta has been impacted by the constant low level inflammation and this led to my current aneurysm.  Can AS do the same thing to the lungs and cause actual damage to the lungs?  This would certainly cause breathing problems even if there is no noticeable fusing going on in the ribs or sternum.

• Posted

Thanks Maureen,

?  That does help.  It's a good journal article.  i saw a similar one regarding the relationship of AS to aortic root problems.   These types of side effects of AS are not well known or at least they don't get much publicity.  They can be as serious or worse than the primary effects of AS.   Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.