AS and other immune disorders.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Curious what other immune problems having. I have AS along with mixed connective disease, Raynauds disease, secondary adrenal insuffiency and COPD. Get Iritis every couple months. Just had melanoma Lasered off 3 months ago. Is this the norm with AS? Had AS since 26, now 62.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry to hear about your health problems.

According to what I have read and to what different doctors have told me, I wouldn't say that what you're experiencing is a norm.

Autoimmune diseases unfortunately go well together, since in the root they all share the same principle - reaction of the immune system.

Have they established the cause of your secondary adrenaline insufficiency? Is it connected to the use of corticosteroids which are prescribed for autoimmune diseases? 

I don't know what changes you have made to deal with your health issues, but dietary changes with right supplements to deal with inflammation as well as physical activities that are convenient for you, can be of tremendous help.

• Posted

Masha the adrenal issue is caused by lack of ACTH from brain/p-gland to adrenal glands make cortisol. Best answer from Docs is they don't know why I'm missing that one hormone. All other hormones are present and within lab ranges. They suspect immune response. For sure developed later in life. Thanks for input.

• Posted

I have AS as well as an immune defiency, hypogammaglobulinemia which I receive IVIG infusions for.  Basically both parts of my immune system are functioning properly.  I’m 34 and have only been dealing with this for 2 yrs with the symptoms really presenting themselves the last yr.

Some days the fatigue is so bad I can’t wake up to get out of bed bc I’m so tired.  My body is so weak it almost feels like my spine doesn’t want to hold my body up anymore.  Ive read many time how once chronic Illness usually leads to more.  I have a laundry list of symptoms but who know what they’re from at this point.  Is it my meds or is it another symptoms presenting itself.  Doctors don’t know and sometimes it’s not worth telling bc they just copy your complaints but have nothing to do for them.

I’ve heard iritis is common with AS and that due to certain medications you need to be careful in the sun bc you are more photosensitive.

• Posted

Ashleigh, my as started at 26. Now 62. I've had Iritis averaging every 2-3 months. In mostly left eye. Very painful to light if you let it go on. Steroid drops (prednisone) is only treatment I've used. Good stay on top of it due to scarring the iris. My "extra" immune diseases started bout yrs ago. Good luck. My Iritis starts with little pain in back of eye, then builds. I keep drops on hand.

• Posted

The body is interconnected, we are same age , the immune is very complex , the AS is the aftermath of the wrong attack the white cells do , the skin issue you have take care it with your doctor , the HLAB27 is the gene together with inflammation, who start all , no one need many of those disorders one is sufficient, as we grow older the immune is get slower because of the ageing process, try your best , on this system there is no 100% cure wish you well 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.