AS and sitting pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with AS about a year ago. Since that time the sitting pain is so bad that i have to sit on a gelled-filled pillow that is made for surgical patients. I can only drive for about 20 minutes now without having to get out of the car and walk around to relieve the pain. Does anyone else have this kind of pain so badly that they have to carry around a pillow to movies, restaurants, in their cars, at work, etc.?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi.  I have to drive 1 hour and 15 minutes one way to work.  I grin and moan trying to get out of the car.  I could barely walk into the building.  I use a cut out sponge that was packing material to sit on while in the car.  I also suffer with sciatica and piriformis syndrome.  I want to try a steroid injection to see if it will help.  My shoulder blades have recently begun to hurt.  Do you have this problem also?
  • Posted

Funny you say this I just went to the movies with my two giant pillows one for under my legs and one for my lower back. I think everyone gets this I have had my sacroiliac joints injected a few times I don’t get very long out of it but you might..could be something to try. 

I get shoulder blade and shoulder arm and neck pain pretty much all of it hydrotherapy helps but some days you just gotta roll with it sadly.

• Posted

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear your pain and frustration. I hear you!

I’ve had AS for decades, and my share of sciatica flares. I’m very careful about which chairs, etc. I’ll sit in.  Folding chairs are a nightmare. I’m pretty picky about seats now when I buy cars (and furniture), HEATED SEATS are great.  

If you need some kind of gel cushion, please get one!  For recent hip flares I recently made my own support for sleep as I could not find a product that suited me.

And you might want to look into anything more you can do to fight the inflammation and ease the suffering. 

Good luck!  I hope this passes quickly!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.