As well as severe muscle spasms... has anyone else experienced knee giving way I am 7 weeks post TK

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ihave been reading other posts about muscle spasms..These are bad enough but my knee gives way as well   I am finding it really difficult to do much physio  and my walking is not that great as a result... still needing two crutches.... not been out of house yet.... getting me down... any suggestions?..

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Mary, are you still doing your straight leg raises to strengthen knee muscles and support your new knee?
  • Posted

Hi Mary. have you tried starting at the beginning with your physio? It is so important to grit your teeth and do them. As Lynn says you should do your leg lifts. Also bring your foot towards you as far as you possibly can. You'll  feel the muscles strengthening.. Have you had any physio?  
    • Posted

Not had any physio..was . just   given a sheet of exercise instructions to do at home.. been trying to do them a few times a day... but to be honest finding it difficult... also all I want to do is sleep... painkillers and muscle relaxants kicking in....
  • Posted

hi mary ... yes, i have that too.  it was worse but  still get it and of course it comes without warning, mainly at the most inconvenient time.  i have been going to work (public transport) for the past three weeks but i wouldn't dream of doing that without my crutches!  at home and around the office i don't need them and when my muscle does go, i am usually able to catch myself or quickly put my hand out to hold me up. i was saying to my physio last week that my operated leg looks skinny in comparison to the other one ... my muscle is wasting away.  he tells me it is too early to build up serious muscle(for me, the bend is still not there so we focus on that) but lynn and carol are right, keep doing your exercises!

p.s. over here they don't recommend walking with one crutch.  your body posture changes, i.e. it leans over to one side which they don't like and say brings its own set of problems.  they would rather you walk with two crutches for longer if needed.  i no longer need to put a lot of weight on the crutches - unless i am very tired -  they are more like stabilizers.  but i like to have them with me, more respect from my fellow travellers!

• Posted

p.p.s.  i am taking magnesium supplements (twice a day, with a slow release system) since thursday and they seem to be kicking in.  can defo recommend.

• Posted

I agree with the others, although they're a pain, literally, the exercises are so important. You need to strengthen those muscles. If you still see a physio I'd tell them about the knee giving way. 
  • Posted

Hi Mary. Sorry to be stuck record but as everyone has said, the exercises are the key. Muscles become week very quickly but take so much hard work to build up again!!!

any chance of you seeing your GP and getting referred for physio? The leg straightening exercises where you push the back of the knee down for a count of 5 or 10 are good for building the required muscle.  Good luck to you Mary. Keep at it, you will get there love. Xx

• Posted

Yes... I do all the exercises in the book theygave me but after a while the muscles go into spasm for anything up to 2hours  then I can't walk     I'm almost at breaking point... seeing consultant on weds.... fingers crossed X.. Thanks for your support. x
  • Posted

Hi Mary

Sorry to hear that you are in so much pain post op. Have you spoken to your Dr re pain meds?  I am pre op and have had these pains and spasms since Jan.  Got another pre op 6th Nov.  I hope a new date isn't cancelled.

• Posted

You name it I've tried it.... pregabalin.. diazepam.. baclofen.. All for the muscle spasms and usual Cocodamol for pain....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.