Ascending aneurysm and antidepressant medication

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello, is there anybody using antidepressant medication?

im suffering from muscular pain due to fibromyalgia as well as anxiety and stress. I've been to a GP who wanted to prescribe cipralex but she insist that one of the side effects of cipralex is possible blood clots so she told that I have to take this into consideration. I do not want to take any risk though as I have an ascending aneurysm of 4cm😳Please share your experience, 

?thank you

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Cipralex (lexapro in the US; generic name escitalopram) is one of many anti-depressants in the class SSRI. A side effect associated with this class of drugs is a decrease in blood platelet stickiness. This can result in easier bleeding. My understanding is that It does not increase risk of clotting; in fact, it could reduce the risk of clotting somewhat.

Your GP is, I think, mistaken or misinformed. Talk to a psychiatrist about anti-depressants; they're the experts.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Timothy, so sorry for the late reaction, somehow I've just missed your message, thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.