Ascending Aorta.....strange sensation in chest

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am new to this group. I am 62 and I have been diagnosed with a 4.2 aneurysm in the ascending aorta. It was found while in the hospital for a suspected heart attack. I do know that aneurysms run in my fathers side....one brother died of a ruptured abdominal aneurysm, one died with a brain aneurysm, grandfather died of a ruptured ascending aneurysm and my dad had the same. Of course, they won't do surgery till it reaches 5, but the stress of this is hard on me and my husband. We do know that I did not have the aneurysm two years ago, because I had all the tests done because of my heart rate rate drops into the thirties at times. I do have this sensation in my chest that I had mentioned to my doctor several months ago and I am now wondering if it is related to the growth of this thing. Periodically, I get this stretching sensation in the upper part of my chest...doesn't hurt, but it makes me feel like something is pulling. It lasts a few minutes and then stops...it does this a few times a day. I was just wondering if it was possible to feel the aneurysm growing?

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was 47 when my 8 cm ascending aneurysm was discovered. I never felt anything, but I guess everyone is different. Sorry I cant be much help. It must be worrying thinking that the aneurysm is growing.
  • Posted

It makes me wonder....I never felt this until, maybe 3 months ago...I mentioned to my doctor...she didn't say anything....but, I can't help but wonder.

An 8cm!!!!! Wow.....have you had surgery???

• Posted

Sounds like your aneurysm may be symptomatic, and if that is the case it should be repaired.  Great article full of information if you google "Beating a Sudden Killer" (by John A Elefteriades - famous Aneurysm surgeon at Yale Aortic Center)  I am having surgery on a 4.3 ascending aortic aneurysm in 5 days due to the symptoms it is causing. One big thing I've learned through all of this--don't dismiss the little things and fight for your health and your life.  Take care, Jill
  • Posted

I have a 4..4 ascending aortic aneurysm and lately I have a similar sensation in my chest except it's when I swallow mostly. I thought I pulled a muscle or strained my chest but it's not going away. You are making me wonder if it is the aneurysm stretching. I am small so I am not sure if it is going to grow too large before it ruptures. Can they rupture before 5?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.