Posted , 3 users are following.


Hi i am a 23 year old and for years now i have had a massive tummy i am not fat anwhere else and my tummy although massive isnt flabby its quite firm people have often commented saying i look like a have a cussion up my shirt also i have had a shortage of breath for years to but recently its a the point i cont walk up the stairs without panting and haveing to sit down i feel like a 90 year old. Although i have had these problems for years the increased breathlessness has only just given me the courage to go to the doctors whom i never go and see and she started talking about ascites she said she would send me for ct scan and blood tests so i have researched ascites and i have come across cancer and liver problems now im freaking out and they arnt even takeing my blood for another 9 days and i have to wait for a letter to see when i can have a scan. Does anyone have ascites?? What can reli cause it??

Any advice/info will be greatfully received.

1 like, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    Not a lot, as it's the cause which needs to be researched and you have started that by, at last, going to your doctor.

    If you have had it that long then I guess it's not so serious otherwise you would have had more problems. But it obviously needs to be dealt with.

    I am believing that it is excess fluid that has collected in your tummy and needs to be drained off. Though if it is the size (amount) you suggest it will need to be taken slowly or in stages.

    I shouldn't worry about the wait for tests and results, as at least you have started the ball rolling.

    Good luck.


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I have had it twice mine was caused by drinking but there are other causes all to do with your liver. The first time my Dr sent me straight to hospital where they put a tube into my stomach and drained out the fluid. I was in for a couple days and then put on water tablet's and told to stop drinking. The second time I went down to the a & e and they drained it once again. I have reduced my alcohol and haven't had it for over two year's now. Your Dr should send you for an ultrasound scan which will detect if you have it. I now have a check up every 6 months which involves blood test and ultrasound. If you don't have any joy from your Dr go to a & e and tell them your symptoms. Hope this is of some help you. Good luck !
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up