Ashton isn't the only way......

Posted , 2 users are following.

A little back story. I have struggled off and on with drug dependency since my late 20's. I am 39 now. My drug of choice was Xanax. I know the pain of withdrawl and sympathize with anyone going through it. Recently I commented on a post looking for suggestions on using The Ashton Method for Diazepam, and I shared with the person that a 3 day Librium detox worked for me. Under the care of my psychiatrist, who is a licensed drug and alcohol therapist, he prescribed me 6 Librium. I took 3 the first day, 2 the second, and obviously 1 the last. Besides a few nights with restless sleep, I was good and I have remained sober since. I know the dangers in stopping cold turkey. I had multiple seizures, in very public places, when I was abusing. It's not fun. Especially Xanax, which is the hardest of the benzo's to come off of. One person was outraged to the point he reported me and called me irresponsible. Let me make myself clear. I never attempted The Ashton Method. It probably works. However, from the posts I have seen on here in the past few years, basically people come on this site and think there is NO other way to detox. Well, I shared my experience because there is another way. 5 months, upwards of 10-12 MG a day, a three day Librium detox and I was ok. I was out of the woods. My Dr. had never even heard of Ashton. So a message to everyone who scares people into thinking there is no other way: STOP IT. Some people don't have the luxury of a long slow taper. Some people aren't trying to come off of 1 mg of Ativan a day. Nothing against those who are, because obviously as someone who has abused this type of medication, I respect anyone who wants to live their life without it. But there are many people like me who started off being prescribed the medication and that led to abuse. Which led to Dr. shopping, coping drugs on the street, and all the other fun that comes with being a drug addict, be it a street drug or a legal prescription drugs. And people like me don't have the luxury of decreasing their dose by 1-18th of a MG every six months for 5 years until they are off of it. We are tired of being high all the time, and being sick with withdrawl if we don't have any money to cop. We need and want help, and we want to get off of the stuff as quickly as possible. Anyone who has ever sought help in a rehab or a detox setting knows they don't use Ashton but Librium when you're in these facilities. I'm not sure if this site is funded by Ashton him or herself or if people just want an excuse to stay high for a few more years as they "taper", but what I am sure of is exactly how I said I detoxed is what worked for me. I'm not suggesting now hitting the streets looking for Librium. I'm just letting scared people know that they may not have to wait years to be drug free.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

i agree. And it's too bad that people on this site gave you flack for giving your opinion- You never said you were a medical doc, just shared your experience.

• Posted

Thank you. The outrage of one person in particular was ridiculous. Telling me how irresponsible I am and begging the person whos post I commented on not to listen to me and then reported me. Im not sure what he reported me for. I just relayed what they call in AA my "experience, strength and hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.