Ashwagandha with Lexapro?

Posted , 13 users are following.

has anyone tried ashwagandha while on lexapro? it is suppose to support adrenal health which i hear helps keep cortisol in check.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Does your doctor prescribe anti-depressants for anxiety disorder. I know anxiety disorder is basically caused by an elevated level of cortisol in our bloodstream under stress or perceived stress that people without this disorder do not experience. I tried many anti-depressants and it just spaced me out. I take clonazepam or klonopin, because I need to reduce the effects of the elevated cortisol. Life sucks when you want to do social things and worry your anxiety is going to give you panic attacks. I had those for 20 yrs. I am just telling you what works for me. Also, it's not a high dose, I take 1 to 1.5 mg. 4x's a day. The other thing you might already know, is exercising which I try to do, releases endorphines, which balance out elevated cortisol. It works. The two other things I do, are listen to relaxation tapes and cut out, well 90% of my caffiene intake. Khundalini Yoga, is fantastic if you have it nearby. I also do juicing to clean my blood system as much as possible, so my body does not get immune to the medication I take. I hope something I have said helps, because I deal with it daily. It really is not one thing but a lifestyle that makes me, personally, feel better. God, I wish there was a magic pill! Good luck, and I hope you have a great day.

Sincerely, Roger

• Posted

Roger has a good point here...

Clonazepam and klonopin are worth trying purely because they do not take weeks to get in the system. You try them - and they either work or they don't. Limited side effects and neither carry much in the way of withdrawal.

But as I said before, go careful to begin with just in case there is a reaction.

Matt

• Posted

yeah my dr gave me klonopin. he says it will help to bring my anticipatory anxiety down while i ride through this setback. i usually take .25 mg in the morning, mornings are my worst time. i have been sleeping okay without it so just taking lexapro and melatonin at night, but dr said i could take .5 mg for sleep if needed. today was my 4th day taking the klonopin and i felt less tired which is good, i hate feeling that tired sedated feeling. sometimes i feel like i almost want to revolt against taking klonopin, like i can get through it cold turkey. but i need to remind myself i need to use it during times i have a setback to get back to being me.

• Posted

Agree - the medically-induced sedation isn't always pleasant.

Earlier in the week, I woke up and took 50mg of Dramamine instead of my Citalopram (by accident). And I can tell you, on a very empty stomach, Dramamine really does a number on you!! It does reduce anxiety too in most cases, but I couldn't appreciate any of that because I was flat out in bed for another 2 hours... LOL

• Posted

Xanax is very similar to valium - but longer onset and slightly longer effect than valium. Klonopin is also a bezno, but more specifically used for panic disorders.

• Posted

Matts

They're benzodiazapines. It can be a problem if your doctor is not available, Since it is a controlled substance, some doctors are leery to prescribe it. I try to tell them, if I have taken it regularly for 20* years, it just might be something I need to take. They wouldn't deny insulin to a diabetic. How am I different. I wish they could share a week of anxiety or even better, panic attacks and then get back to me. And for the life of me, I cannot see why anyone would want to buy this medication, unless they somehow think there is a correlation between getting high, and having a 6 hour nap. Sometimes I just want to yell ARE YOU REALLY THAT STUPID. Antidepressants are not considered controlled, so , though the side effects make me feel high, they will give it to me like it's candy. I think this world doesn't agree with me. I was originally prescribed Xanax, but it has a short half life, so I had to switch to something longer acting. For Anne or Amber, I would stay away from valium, it is not specific to anxiety or mild depression. Also, hard to get off of. I take Klonopin, but I should have said I don't take the same amount every day. It depends on my levels. I have been off it for 1-2 weeks from time to time, with little if any side effects. But I can only speak for myself. Have a great day, Roger

• Posted

Roger,

I couldn't agree more - like I said in reply to your first message, these are better options than the main benzos you mention. I grant they can still have a withdrawal, but nothing like xanax and valium. Under the correct supervision, it can be child's play by comparison...

In my opinion, AD's should be given out as a last measure - again, I am right with you on that. They can cause so many problems as I know only too well.

Valium works for some in cases of panic disorder, and for some reason, my GP is happy to give it to the wife and myself, but it will be a limited supply to ensure we didn't get hooked on it. The wife uses it a lot more, but I probably have 1 x 5mg a week, maybe 2. But this is more for stress than anxiety in my case. Dramamine is also another option.

But in sum, yes, xanax and valium are addictive and can be a sod to come off, so unless used periodically, it is better to stay away. The are only meant to be short-term for extreme cases. As a general rule, three doses a day for 1-2 months should be fine with minimal addiction and withdrawal issues. Any more and you are playing with fire... This is directed more towards the OP and others who are reading Roger - I am aware that you clearly understand this stuff...

Matt

• Posted

Are you sure about the not much withdrawal issues? They are both benzodiazepines... and I thought all Benzos had NASTY withdrawal problems if you got hooked... are both better than Xanax that way?? Thx!

• Posted

Hi Amber, I would check with your GP and a Pharmacist. I was told NOT to take Lexapro at night as it might stop me from getting to sleep. I was also told that Melatonin (which I love) may interfere with Lexapro. Melatonin is the only thing that gets me to sleep pronto. I was advised to take Valerian but I get to sleep at least an hour later.

• Posted

I should have included a couple of factors or events that are atypical of most people that have a level of anxiety disorder. My dosage is based on having a monstrous couple of events that made my anxiety much worse than normal. When I was 21 I had a friend of my brother slip a dose of LSD in my beer. It was witnessed by my brother and he still let me drink the beer. About 2 months later, I was given micro dot, a form of LSD which my brother did frequently, but he did not tell me how it affects a person. I was just hanging out with him, because that is what brothers did. Anyway, I basically lost my mind for several years,as I had multiple major panic attacks every single day.Just through time did I find I could function more normally. I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I have been called a shy sensitive person my whole life, often over sensitive, but although that may be partially true, I also know that anxiety or you could say cortisol disorders are genetic, it is passed down through a family member. My nephew has it, and he is on lexapro, which if it works for him, that's great. His mother, my sister, also is anxious. She manages hers by cycling all the time. The main point, be the best you you can possibly be, by that I mean maximize your happiness, however you define it. What I do happens to work for me. I have a question that I am curious about. Have any of you tried marijuana? Why? Because I tried it due to peer pressure in my teens, and I thought I was going to die, everytime. Amazing what a teenager will do a few times for his friends approval. I just wonder because it seems every other person smokes it recreationally now that it is legal. Sorry if I am a bit off topic.

• Posted

That is quite horrific Roger - you have my sympathy having seen what that same drug did to a close friend on mine "back in the day".

I will be completely honest, if I was not allergic to tobacco smoke, I would try "the substance" you mentioned. I personally use motark (reverse that word). This helps me a lot...

I do believe that anxiety and depression and so forth can be passed through families, if not by genes, but behaviour. My father suffers as I do, but recalling from childhood, I could see it in him from a very early age - and being the boy, I looked to him; my sister on the other hand turned out like my mum who is the chalk to the cheese of my father.

• Posted

i grew up without anxiety and went through ups and downs fine. even had a beautiful baby girl born with a birth defect that required surgery at 3 months, still No anxiety. then after a year of chronic sinus infections, a dr told me i needed sinus surgery. went into the surgery fine, came out as well as to be expected, then boom, 2 days post op i was in the ER with a panic attack. the ER dr said i was given too many steriods during surgery which probably threw me out of wack. seeing no improvement i was put on lexapro and klonopin. it took me 5 weeks to recover and for the lex to kick in, when it did i was me again! aside from going through several setbacks, one i am riding out now, i have been mostly good. recently i had a doctor ask me which kind of anastesia they used during my surgery as there has been some reports of non anxious ppl suddenly having anxiety after having this particular anastesia. have either of you heard of that?

• Posted

I've not personally had this, but I know of plenty of people that have taken a number of different meds only then to suffer anxiety and/or depression when it wasn't present before. I have been a member of an antidepression withdrawal site for a looong time and have seen it all.

It is such a shame what can persist after these meds. This is currently what I am dealing with having been pushed and pulled through 5 different meds in less than a year.

I will be suffering for a while yet.

Never again.

• Posted

when i get back from this trip i am on i am going to start working out every morning. i am hopeful it will help.

• Posted

I for prescribed with AD 5 years ago to deal with a NON-depression/anxiety problem. The problem was gone after a year but I kept taking them for 4 more year since the withdrawal symptoms were to harsh (mainly brain zaps).

6 months ago I decided to tapper off and then quit. I tapered for 1 month and then quit. I was fine and happy, never knew what depression and anxiety my whole life (I'm 31), then all of a sudden, bam! an hour long full blown panic attack ( a series of attacks that each one fed the other).

went to the ER cause I thought I was going to die.

Long story short, I'm suffering from anxiety and depression for 3 months now and it's awful! I was told to go back and take the AD again which made me feel even worse! so they switched it to lexapro and I'm 6 weeks in on it.

I'm missing to be my old self again and it's all because of that damn AD I started taking 5 years ago!

• Posted

Exercise will always help as it releases endorphins and reduces corsitol...

If I had more enthusiasm I'd do the same 😃

• Posted

Mech,

You have PAWS - post acute withdrawal syndrome. You should never have come off an AD you were on for 5 years in the space of a month. No wonder you feel this way. Sounds like your PD/GP is an idiot...

When you are stable on the Lexapro (assuming it works for you), take it slooooowww. As a rule, withdrawal should be a week for every month taking it. So a year would be 12 weeks/3 months, 2 years 6 months... maximum of another 12 months, but I have seen people take 5 years to ween off some AD's.

Look after yourself - and feel free to ask any q's.

Matt

• Posted

Thanks Matt.

I don't know if lexa is working for me, I'm 6 weeks on it and I'm having a weird feelings and intrusive thoughts about existence and life which ramps up my anxiety.

I'm seeing a therapist at the end of the month to see if I need to switch it again or to come off this meds for good.

• Posted

Mech...

Odd because we recently had a chap on my forum that had started Lex and had exactly the same existential anxiety you speak of! It is a form of OCD and can for sure be a byproduct of the meds. What dose/med were you on for those 5 years, and what does of Lex are you on at the moment?

Lex can take a good 3 months for everything to level out for some people, but if there is no improvement of symptoms (or worsening) after 8 weeks, then that is a good sign that they are not for you...

Matt

• Posted

I think I can relate to being OCD. I have thought , what is the point of life, that we are just marking time. I think I need some spirituality in my life. Being raised Catholic the only thing I am good at is feeling guilty! I have wondered about the point of life ever since I was a young kid. It's possible I feel this way because I grew up an environment where ' I love you' was never said, ever! It is odd to have 2 parents and 3 siblings who are complete strangers. The family dynamic was so bad, I probably will never talk about it. It sucks to be in relationships where it is too awkward to express feelings you have. I would definitely say anxiety and or depression can also be a byproduct of your environment. I was thinking about what you said about your wife Matt and I really hope she finds something that works better than valium, and I personally know how hard it is to make a change when you feel that what you are doing seems to be working for you. There is a great book that anyone on this site could relate in some way to. It's called " I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can ". I strongly recommend it.

Roger

• Posted

For 5 years I was on Citalopram 20mg, with almost no side effects when started, I drank, missed a dose here and there and nothing happened, I lived my life happily and normally.

After the panic attack my DR told me to go back taking Citalopram 20mg and immediately felt nasty side effects, in particular heighten anxiety.

I was on Citalopram for 6 weeks with little success, Then got switched to lexa 10mg.

I feel little improvement with the lexapro but I'm still far away of being normal.

Can you send me a link to that forum chat? I'm very interested to see what this chap wrote.

Thank you, really appreciate it

• Posted

Mech,

This is really interesting. You road has followed EXACTLY the same as mine. I was on Citalopram 20mg for around a year and more or less recovered, but the Dr kept me on it for another 10 years. I then decided I wanted off, and he did a withdrawal over 3 weeks - just like you. Then all hell broke lose. I went back on Citalopram and stayed there for another 12 months because I had a lot of stress in my life, but according to the mental health team, I should have been on something else. I no longer agree - I should have been having therapy. Now having allowed them to "test" me on 5 different drugs in this second year, I am in a state both physically and mentally. Back on Citalopram and hoping I will settle again.

I will PM you the link now.

Matt

• Posted

I think everyone needs some spirituality in their life... it has certainly helped me. Thanks for book link.

The wife has used Valium for quite a while and she finds it calms her down. I don't like her using it quite as frequent as she does, but she, like me, has a lot of stress and memories of difficultly in her past to contend with....

• Posted

"I no longer agree - I should have been having therapy"

Exactly my thought also! without even blinking he (the DR) told me to go back taking Citalopram, where I should have taken cbt therapy only.

I started going to cbt when it all started but felt as if the therapist can only do so much because of the meds.

• Posted

Mech,

Again - this is right where I have been. Gone through therapy - the token 8 weeks we get on the NHS here, but I was too wrapped up in the medication to get the best from it. Last time, the therapist had me pegged from the start but in trying to tell someone to "let it go" when you have headaches, head fog and the runs 24/7 just won't happen!

Matt

• Posted

I get it Matt. It was just a suggestion. I hope you check out the book. I might read it again, but your wife might relate to it. Basically a woman who thought she could just push through life, and her struggles with anxiety, stress, grief. It is a redemptive story, so inspirational like hell, unlike my morbid last tweet. Therapy is great, but make sure you connect with your therapist. If you do, it can be great, so I've heard. Some really are just putting in the hours.Just a heads up for Mech. No point in wasting your precious time . I know from experience. Some psychiatrists seemed to treat me like a guinea pig, trying all sorts of meds on me! There is nothing wrong with telling a therapist that it doesn't seem to be a good fit. Some actually tried to keep me coming, by threatening to withhold my medication.

I also use to drink a lot, prior to social gatherings, to cope with anxiety and stress when I was younger. I don't know if others can relate, but I do not like big parties, and am sensitive to loud raucous noise. Until I found out I could treat my anxiety with medication, everyone I knew thought I was an alcoholic. I guess I can't blame them. Lastly, I would bet everyone on this site is very intelligent with a high IQ. It seems to be the trade off. I think I would rather be a bit dim, if the payoff was relaxation, although I am not sure. Maybe, if I could be sure I had a kind sensitive soul. I should stick to the topics of medication. Sorry if I seem to get off topic. I just think there are commonalities that others who deal with this might relate to.

• Posted

Roger,

It is a very good suggestion and I am with you. We are taking more natural remedies between us and other "plant-based" stuff. But your description of some of these support workers just "putting in the hours" is exactly how I would put it. An NHS care coordinater getting upwards of 30k + benefits, you'd think they would have a little more to give... makes me sick.

The intellect is for sure a trade off. I am not one to shout about it, but I have five qualifications from various university and currently a researcher and sometimes feel as though I would trade it all in to not think about it all the time. The ironic thing is that my research area very much involves the brain, so I don't stand a chance.. I think about thinking dammit!!!

Matt

• Posted

I absolutely agree.

Depression/anxiety seems to go hand in hand with being a more contemplative/reflective type of personality, which I guess means intelligent to some degree.

I wouldn't change that abut myself though.....just wish it hadn't lead me into so many black holes over the years.

• Posted

Pardon the interruption... but I believe that ANY bad reaction to drugs, legal or not... can give one a pretty much permanent anxiety/depression problem... I mixed booze, weed, ephedra and Serzone (a really nasty SSRI, since banned)... had a MASSIVE anxiety attack and have not been "right" since... that was in 1997.

My PCP now says I have a form of PTSD... the recommended treatment? Yep, another SSRI. Weed helps PTSD, btw...

I started Lexapro, but after 6 days, the first few amazingly pleasant... I had a moderate anxiety attack... common, from what I read... I have been told by my pharmacist that this should be temporary, 2-3 weeks max... and that taking Alprazolam to fight off the anxiety should be safe for that time period... .5 mg, 2X/day... I was on celexa for a few years and it seemed to help... but made me a bit "dull"... I have high hopes for when I start the Lex again... waiting to confirm with my PCP... any thoughts or advice?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.