Asking again...neck muscles

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all-

I have quite a bit of anxiety/stress lately (due to trying to get a diagnosis) which I carry in my neck, shoulders, and upper back. I seem to have Coat Hanger Syndrome. The last few nights I have noticed when I lay down to go to sleep, my neck muscles seem to twitch or "pulse" from tense to not tense the entire time I'm trying to relax and go to sleep. Eventually, hours later, I am finally able to relax and go to sleep. I know muscle twitching is common in CFS, but it makes me uneasy since I've never had it in my neck before. FYI...I take Melatonin 7mg, CBD 40mg, and Soma 5mg. Anyone else deal with this? Hoping I'm not alone!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Charcey,

I have had all kinds of odd symptoms with this condition so neck twitching wouldn't surprise me but, if you're worried though, and it seems you are, check it out with a gp/physio to put your mind at rest.

I tend to go for a hot water bottle for symptoms of tension and have used it on my shoulders/neck and helps with things for me.

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Charcey,

I have been experiencing terrible pain the last 3 weeks in my right shoulder & shooting nerve pain down my arm. It’s been awful, I’m in constant pain & not sleeping. I eventually went to see a chiropractor & he said I have a trapped in my neck due to 2 vertebra being out of line. He put it down to poor posture & a lot of tension (I hold all my tension in my shoulders- sounds like you do too.) I had acupuncture, massage & manipulation. It’s not much better at the minute but go back again next week. It’s not a quick fix he tells me. Problem is as we have to rest a lot our posture is often not good. Or if your looking down at your phone a lot or iPad/ computer. He gave me a heat bag to put on & it is helping me to relax a little so may also be taking the pressure off my taut muscles pressing on the nerve. Try to be conscious of the tension in your body & drop the shoulders & relax. If you can get a massage it will help. Deal with it now before you get a trapped nerve as boy this is horrendous. On top of everything else with the m.e it’s a lot to deal with. I also just ordered a back & shoulder support so hopefully that will help. Relaxing is key. Not easy but we must try.

• Posted

Thank you for the response ladies. All of this is incredibly unnerving and is causing a huge amount of anxiety. I’m currently waiting to see a rheumatologist. This morning I woke up feeling OK, and then went to breakfast. During breakfast I noticed my right cheek down to my mouth went numb. I could still move my muscles, but the area just felt odd. I , also, noticed a more severe fatigue that came on along with weak/shaky tired feelings in my right leg and arm. I laid down after breakfast for an hour and felt better after that. The symptoms let up, for the most part. All of this just makes me panic because this is a new symptom for me that I haven’t had before and I start thinking about all kinds of other terrible things like ALS and myasthenia gravis. I have to calm myself and remind myself that i have had CFS symptoms off and on for the last year. Usually, people with those terrible things, notice things like this (along with drooping face/eye muscles and inability to chew or swallow issues, etc) as their first symptoms. I think I just needs words to affirm and encourage what I'm saying. I'm really trying to keep it together, and this forum is my lifeline.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.