Asking for advice.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Morning all,

I have commented on this page a few times before.

What i am going to say highlights what i have said previously, please bare with me.

My name is Natalie and i am 27, i have a disability, i am a dwarf.

Walking to and from public transport is not good for me and this has made me push further to wanting to drive and that it self is another hurdle.

I recently pass my theory and i am desperate now to start driving.... but their are no driving instructors within 100 miles of me that have an adapted car to teach me... so i have to purchase my own car and get the adaptions installed and dual brake to learn in my own car.

I am on JSA and PIP for living.

There is no way i can afford to pay for a car, insurance and tax, pedal extensions and a dual brake and pay for them to be fitted.

There are no grants that can help me and because i am not working no banks will allow me to have a loan.

I was thinking of a payday loan but that itself requires a guarantor to which i do not have as well.

I have contacted my MP to see if there is anyway they can help and i am still awaiting a response. 

If anyone would employ me i would still need to save up for 3/4 months to be able to pay for all this and then it would be June before i even step foot into a car to learn.

I am so desperate to do this and kills me that it is made 1000 times harder for me to do something basic.

Please help me with advice, please if you can.

Thank you.



0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Natalie,

    I'm really not sure how else to advice you anymore than what you've already been adviced with when you've asked this before.

    You were adviced about pedal extenders previously. I think for you it comes down to not being able to afford to do everything because of the cost. I'm really sorry, i can't offer you any further advice. I hope you find a solution soon. Good luck.

  • Posted

    hi natalie, when you say your a little person how tall are you , im sure there,s a car that is small enough for you , as im 5ft2 and drive  with no problems , maybe an instructed with a micra would work out best for you ..
    • Posted

      when I was learning to drive my instructer used to carry a cushion in to place behind my back ,so id be able to reach the peddles but im going back years now... cars are lot more manageable and their seats adjust quite well nowadays, ive even driven navara twin cab with no problems so please don't give up im sure you find an instructer  who is able to teach you, do you have a group called liferooms the give all sorts of advice very similar to cab, but mostly deal with people with special needs and their families  I know its a knighmare but were all rooting for you ( hey if the little women of la can do it im sure its possible) good luck keep in touch annmarie

  • Posted

    Hi Natalie,

    With your sheer determination I am sure somehow you will get your car & be able to drive it sooner rather than later.  Never give up as the answer for you is out there somewhere.  Good Luck.  smile

  • Posted

    hi natalie , I mentioned your problem to my eldest son he said that you don't need to get a car modified as he has seen some little people have peddles that just clip on  to normal peddles and you just unclip them when your finished but he doesn't know where to get them I would try a social worker or see if your doctor knows anything ...

    • Posted

      Thank you for your comment.

      They are pedal adaptions and unfortunately they are signed for certain cars and not all driving instructors are willing to allow me to do that as i have asked.

      I have been in contact with the company that supply them and if i am learning to drive in a newer corsa then they would send pedal adaptions for that car but then when i pass there is no way id be able to afford a newer corsa so i would have to get another set of adaptions for my car...

      I hope that makes sense.

      I thought pedal adaptions were universal but i guess not 


  • Posted

    Hi all,

    I have been in contact with Citizen Advice and i was advised to go into there and they will do another claim for PIP as they stated i should be getting mobility, they are going to help me but they did say i shouldn't do anything until i have seen an advisor and i would probably need to have a few people to write letters that have known me a while just to help me.

    I think that is my only option at the moment, i will let you know what the outcome is.

  • Posted

    I personally think you may get PIP for mobility but getting the enhanced rated is more difficult if you can walk 30 metres. I would check though with the mobility car hire scheme that people whom get the enhanced mobility section and get their cars from them. Your local council may also know as well as Red Cross. Good luck sweetie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.