Aspartame and AF

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently read something about aspartame...reoccurring naturally in the body and acting as a neuro transmitter. Just before I was diagnosed I was consuming quite alot of this stuff e.g. Canderel, Splenda etc. Has anyone out there experienced less AF for coming off all aspartame?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Frances, I used to consume a lot of diet coke and have a berroca everyday. I realized that preservatives and msg would set off my af. I have made lots of adjustments to my diet including avoiding aspartame, gluten, alcohol and preservatives. so l don't know for sure if the aspartame helped reduce my af or if it was the other dietary changes or medication. It is good to get back to nature anyway especially when you read about artificial sweeteners and their side effects. Good luck

• Posted

Hi. I certainly agree with the MSG observation! I now try to avoid that in foods as it sets off my episodes for sure. I recently tried to reduce my sugar in tea with a saccharin substitute, but after a few days,felt very fluttery and Ive reverted back. Ive avoided aspartame for years, having used it in the food industry a long time ago. The ratio of its use vs sugar was miniscule and that way back then made me wonder about it! Its got a place clearly, but I prefer to avoid it in foods or drinks if I can.
    • Posted

Thanks Cardiac Congo....that would fit with my neurotransmitter reading. If aspartame naturally speed up messages across cell membranes , then having excess of it in the blood could well be a factor in extra electrical messages being passed to the sinoatrial node there flutter, palps, AF etc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.