Aspartame and afib/tachy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone had any experiences with aspartame being a trigger of their afib/tachy? Or talked with their doctor or read any really informative articles about it?

I began drinking the 'clear sodas' (ya know 0 cal 0 caffeine 0 sugars 0 sodium seltzer waters with much more flavor) when I started changing my lifestyle about one month before my 'big relapse' into afib. I have 2 qts a day of those and the only other thing I drink is about the same amount of water. The reason I'm curious is because this is the only thing dietary that i can think of that might be affecting my afib. The foods I eat are as healthy as can possibly be, but I never thought much about a '0 everything' drink having something in it that might cause such issues.

An added question is....what are the top heart healthy yet palatable beverages that you all recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Anna

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am a big user of artificial sweeners and diet sodas but it has never contributed to my Afib. Currently I am on Multaq and my afib has subsided to zero and i still use the same amount of artificial sweetners. Different things affect people differently and one thing I know is bad for your heart rythem is caffien.
    • Posted

I've heard that you are not supposed to take Multaq if you are in permanent af and its only supposed to be for when you actually go into af fully? Is this right? 
  • Posted

I don't know if aspartame will cause AF, however there is plenty of info out there clearly showing it to be one of the most dangerouse substances consumed by millions I personally will avoid the stuff where ever possible I drink decaf tea, water and occasionally fruit juice and squash ( full sugar) aspartame whatever name they try to fool is with is dangerous r and should be banned sorry I know that's just my opinion but this chemical concoction is really bad
  • Posted

Hi Anna,

I agree with Diannec aspartame should be avoided at all costs whether you have afib or not, we all have different triggers but no one should be using aspartame it is not good they sometimes diguise that they are using it by calling it nutrisweet

You can find info on it on the web, I actually have a friend who was very poorly and it turned out to be aspartame that was causing her problem. they use it as a substitute in all diet drinks.

Linda..

• Posted

Yes! I can't drink any diet sodas nor can I have any other diet products now, yoghurt etc. Doesn't help the weight issue but as long as I don't palp I'm happy.  I drink lots of flavoured green tea, decaf coffee, water both cold and hot
  • Posted

Hi all,

I drink coffee 3 a day at least, the occasional larger,guinness , non of these bring on my AF..

The main cause of my AF is exersion & only at night , doing anything that gets my heart racing, i have only had 3 episodes when i was at rest watching TV after my evening meal, i have never gone into AF during the day, So it seems that with me exersion on a full stomach is the key to my AF,

Its a mine field

Unless its very obvious proven i think trying to work out what foods or drinks may affect AF is a bit like have a multi allergy problem & trying to work out what & what does not fire it up 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.