Aspiration

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anybody had this after TKR?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

1.You can aspirate into your lungs-this is bad.

2. Your body part( ie knee/joint,space between organs etc. etc) can have a needle stuck into it and have fluid pulled out.

Lots on this forum have had knee aspirations.

Definately clarify question.

• Posted

I have just undergone knee aspiration- however still in a lot of pain-drained a lot of fluid off from around the knee which had built up since my TKR on Feb 2016. Is the pain from the aspiration or what??
  • Posted

Not immediately after but 10 months later. They deaden the area with lidocaine or something similar, then go in deeper with a larger needle to withdraw fluid. Due to my problem originally, a rare tumor that blew up. All total, I've had at least 8 aspirations. Most of the pain is from the pressure of the needle and it only takes a few minutes. Ice it afterwards to help with the bruising. Its not a thing you want to go through every day but it doesn't last long. You'll be fine.

• Posted

Hi Mary

I've had my knee aspirated twice- i was experiencing (and still am) swelling 2-3x a week.  I found the procedure to be pretty ez to go thru.  I did have an ache where the needle took it's path afterword but not too bad.  It'll dissipate.  Get some ice or heat whichever feels better to you. 

• Posted

Yes,  I had it done to release fluid and because I am having surgery in about 3 weeks to remove scar tissue. Are you having it done. It wasn't too bad. It did hurt a little but I was able to stand it. It was a little sour for a few minutes but that went away quickly.

• Posted

Hi Kimmer - can you share what is leading to your surgery?  I had my knee drained twice - was bloody so they sent me to hemotologist to rule out any blood issues.  I have swelling 2-3 times a week when i get alot of pain.  I can't straighten my right leg (had Right TKR in Oct, 2016).  I'm hoping that i can go in and get it surgically addressed been 4 months of this!  With no solution.  What are your symtoms, what is leading you to surgery?  When was your TKR?  Thanks in advance for sharing

• Posted

Hi Jeanie, I have a build up of scar tissue and still have pain. My Dr. said he will break up the scar tissue and hopefully get me bending better. My TKR was Nov.10, 2016.I also still get swelling. What is your bend right now? 
    • Posted

Hi again - to be honest i don't know - if I have a decent day i don't think it's that bad but when it, let's call it "blows up" it's bad.  I have more of a straightening issue then a bending issue.  If i were to stand in front of a mirror my right leg has a bend to it - i can't straighten it.  In all my PT everytime we graduated to straightening exercises, this is what happens.  There must be some scar tissue in there that just gets caught on something and causes the swelling and pain.  It's been a trial I tell you - 2-3 times a week for 4 mos now.  I'm actually looking forward to a surgery, I hope that's what the dr has planned.  Do you have swelling?  Is it constant - what is your pain like.  Mine can be fine for a day or up to four days then it swells for the rest of that day bad - i have to ice and i have a portable tens unit.  Next day it could be fine.  It's really odd.  I have been using a walker since 3/6/17.  Everytime i try to come off (could be a security blanket at this point) i get to cocky and kick the walker away and it seems another "blow Happens"  it's rather strange really.

• Posted

I bet you do have scar tissue built up. My knee seems to ne swollen a little most of the time, more so when I walk a lot. You will have to keep me updated on what happens. My surgery is going to be July 19th.
    • Posted

I will and you keep me posted too. I've been trying to find someone who might be going thru the same thing. Good luck. I will say a prayer for u. Dr appt is 7/5. So wish me luck too!! Take cat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.