Aspiration

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has any one had an asperation done I'm getting one on Tuesday after being in pain for 14 months after TKR and is it painful

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

No in fact if anything you will feel the prick of the needle but that is about it. First time I had fluid taken out of my knee after a TKR I saw the needle thought this is not going to be fun but I was wrong. Your knee is all fake there is really nothing left that is going to hurt when they get the fluid out. Now if you have fluid taken out and its still the original knee I can assure you it hurts a lot enough that it will take your breath away.
  • Posted

I worked with a orthopaedic doc who took care of the San Diego Padres ears ago.  He did many aspirations. His technique was to numb the area of needle insertion with a topical, insert a needle through this area or areas, withdraw synovial fluid by aspirating with a 50cc syringe.  It's a yellowy sometimes yellowy/red color.  People feel less pain afterwards cause this excess fluid causes pressure which equals pain. This doc also injected a cortisone/xylocaine mixture which would help numb the internal knee joint.  There is a cause to this swelling, so that  is what needs to be determined. Hope this helps, patients hardly ever c/o pain.

• Posted

Close to dozen. It will be a little painful but not anything to worry about. Its mostly the thought of having a needle stuck in your leg. At one time I had 6 in 2 months because of a tumor that bled. Then I had 4 when i had my 1st staph and 4 more with the 2nd staph. They will deadeb the tissue a couple times with lidocaine and pressure I s really about the only discomfort. You'll do fine. No need to take a bullet to bite

• Posted

Yes really its not painful at all. I think its like when they draw blood for testing really not a biggie.
    • Posted

Yes. You'll walk out just like you walked in. If you are in the US it will be easier as your wallet will be a couple hundred dollars lighter.

• Posted

It's amazing how that works isn't it?? I saw the total of my last TKR  and that was before insurance paid their part it was almost 250K!! 

• Posted

I was wondering if the procedure had to be repeated as I have Bakers cyst and a meniscal tear. Thanks.
    • Posted

Repeating would be a Drs decision. If they would find something that had to be treated like an infection, they would treat it and then possibly have to repeat to make sure you are clean. That's not a for certain one way or another. I know you are concerned but I sure wouldn't lose a lotvif sleep as it won't be anything more than taking blood for lab work except its deeper and there s a little more pressure.

• Posted

hi Thanks for tyour reply. The knee is getting me down and I feel worried all the time about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.