Aspirin

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does dispersible, and coated Aspirin, still have the same risk factor of gut bleed, as per standard tabs?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Dispersible and coated aspirin both protect your gut to a certain extent, but can still be an irritant. I found that even a small dose of dispersible aspirin caused stomach problems and was prescribed omeprazole to counteract those. Now on Warfarin so have stopped both the aspirin and the omeprazole.
    • Posted

Thank you Lucy.

I should have added, I dissolve dispersibles under my tongue, does this make any difference.

I voluntary take 75mg daily, due to having to take 3mg of Sandrena gel, HRT Estradiol.

• Posted

I don't think it would probably make a lot of difference, dissolving it under your tongue as opposed to in water, but it probably dissolves better in water. 75 mg seems a very high dose; I was only prescribed 10mg daily, and as I said, even that small dose irritated my stomach.
    • Posted

75 mg is the standard size aspirin tablet for blood thinning purposes in the UK. In America it is 80mg.

You are taking one that does not exist.

• Posted

Yes, the ones I was given at the chemist were 75 mg - as you say, standard. The 10mg. ones were given to me directly from the hospital prescribed by my cardiologist, and still managed to upset my stomach; I'm obviously very sensitive to aspirin.

• Posted

They do not show in the prescribing manual BNF.

Does the pack actually say 'Aspirin' or a brand name? 

• Posted

Sorry Derek, can't answer that as I threw the pack away some time ago when I started taking Warfarin. It wasn't branded - just a little brown pill bottle from the hospital pharmacy, and, I think labelled 'aspirin, 10mg'.
    • Posted

Good luck with the Warfarin. How long have you now been taking it for?
    • Posted

I started taking the Warfarin in April. No problems so far!
    • Posted

I had joint pains soon after starting warfarin in May 2012 after a heart valve replacement and going into AF. Surgeon said that I could stop it after cardioversion and being in sinus rhythm for six months. The cardologist did not agree. I stuck it out for another eleven months before reverting to aspirin. My GP said that I was the third patient that week to give up on Warfarin.

Even with a PPI when going back to aspirin I started to get severe indigestion and stomach pains and had blood in my stools. I had a colonoscopy last December and the stimulation of my vagal nerve put me back into AF and again prescribed Warfarin and again joint pain but the tummy problems stopped. Coincidence?? 

I had another cardioversion in March and stopped Warfarin fourteen weeks later and now taking enteric aspirin again and without any problem.

• Posted

hi lucy

75mg is the stated dose also why don't you take the coated this is why they perscribe you to stop you having stomach problems also the dr put you on omoprozole if it  dosen't agree with you tell your dr to try you on something else worst thing you have done is come of both without your dr's permissition.

im on lazoprozole its better its an higher dose 30mg which is alot better now i was on a 10 mg of the omoprozole didn't help me i was getting indijestion feeling sick so went to se my dr then he tryed me on them ive never looked back also im on both 75mg of asprin coated  and wafrin  i can't come of any of them as ive had too many blood clots n heart trouble.

they have brought another type of wafrin out were you dont need weekly or monthly inr checkes they check it yearly

my hubby is on it hes felt better on that than the normal wafrin but they havent got round for the antidote for it yet for its not got the rat poison in it  im on the wafrin been on it 12yrs mine went really high one week i was lucky they have an antidote for wafrin  they injected me to bring it back into line i had to go into hospital for it if you are putting the soluble or an ordanry one in your mouth im not supprised you getting the side effects from it this is what can cause bleeding in the gut .

hope that dose help you

christine

• Posted

hi lucy

forgot to tell you the only way you get the coated ones they are perscription only.

• Posted

hi Katrina

you are better if you ask your dr to give you the coated ones they help stop getting gut problems ive been on them for 12 yrs if you use any other sort like lucy as then you can get bleeding from the gut especially if you disolve them under your tongue they are really not good to do that way to do the normal bought from the chemist is bad enough to cause the same i dont no why they sell them like this when they no it can upset the gut.

hope you stop taking them like you are go to your dr and tell him he will give you them coated .

christine

• Posted

I don't need the aspirin now that I'm on Warfarin. The aspirin I was taking, prescribed from the hospital by my cardiologist, were coated, but I could not tolerate them well - cardio thinks I have an 'idosyncratic reaction' to aspirin! But now I have stopped taking aspirin at all and have no problems with my stomach, so need no antacid medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.