20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I have heard of this before but I would be careful about taking aspirin every day as it can cause stomach problems.   I would want to check with my doctor first.  x

• Posted

That's really interesting - thanks!   Maybe the reason for the 63% drop in premature deaths from COPD since 1982 is linked to the fact that most of us with COPD are at or past the age where many gp's routinely prescribe aspirin for cardiac health?

I'll keep taking my daily aspirin

• Posted

I would think a daily low-dose soluble aspirin (80mg) would be fine. That is the usual cardiac dosage. I also suspect that the anti-inflamatory property of aspirin is the actual way it helps COPD, so the effect may not be specific to aspirin - however, aspirin is still the safest anti-anfamation medicine as far as I know.
  • Posted

I was prescribed the cardiac support dose of 75mg way back, after 6 months on this dose;

-  I developed acid reflux which needed treating by another medicine*

-  I was brusing severely just by gripping a broom handle

-  skin thinning etc.

if it were only acid reflux that was the problem you can get enteric coated, however the severe bruising was something else the asprin was acting as a blood thinner and therefore would prevent blood clotting, helpful in some cases but detrimental in others.  So while keeping the blood thin to avoid a blood clot which could be detrimental the very same drug could cause excessive blood loss which could also be detrimental.  Also considerations should be taken into account for those with other medical conditions which may mean a longer time for wounds to heal with risk of further complications   Its a kill or cure drug and not intended to be consumed as a daily supplement, but rather as a short term pain relief or a prescribe daily dose longer term.

In my case it was agreed with my doctor that I should discontinue taking asprin for cardiac support because of the severe side affects.

It would be advisable for any one taking asprin daily to communicate to your GP you are doing so and at the very least consult with a pharmacist concerning interactions with other medicines prescribed.

In addition its always advisable to be aware of both the cautions and helpful side of this drug taken on a daily basis.  But ideally it would be advisable to consult with your own doctor in the first instance.

I will post a link separately which will first need to be approved by the moderators.  In the mean time you may want to google asprin dosage and look for the link to drugs dot com for asprin dosage guide and precautions. 

• Posted

Hi I'm new to this but was wondering how many people with copd have been prescribed aspirin by their GP
    • Posted

Because many with COPD have associated problems, especially with CardioVascular problems, many may indeed be prescribed 'maintenance' low dose daily ASA.  It would not be uncommon for people who are COPDers to be on ASA.

I myself have been advised to take it.

Also, in view of the increased and widely advocated use of statins, perhaps patients are now using less ASA? I do not know the statistics.

However, we are all aware of the incidence of hypercoagulation in COPDers as well as the pulmonary arterial hypertension which would benefit from anticoagulation therapies.

However, having COPD does not automatically indicate a need for ASA

• Posted

I'm confused by your association of aspirin with statins:  I've never heard of either of them being prescribed to replace the other.

And I'm certainly not aware of whatever you're referring to in your second last paragraph, so I guess I'd better get googling to work out what you're actually talking about

• Posted

I did not state they were being used in place of the other. They are two different medications that work in different manners.

But they both contribute to reducing heart disease. Very often people taking statins also take ASA..on the prescription of physicians...it does not mean everyone should automatically take ASA.

Because ASA reduces thrombosis,it also reduces stroke and heart attack.

Statins improve cardiovascular health by reducing lipoproteins which contribute to plaque buildup and therefore clots which cause stroke and heart attack.

There are risks to both medications, just as every medication carries risks.

• Posted

I think you have been very clear lill and I understand exactly what you are talking about.   Thank you for the information.  Bev x
    • Posted

OH GOOD!

Sometimes explanations can be difficult to figure out, but glad to know I related it well enough to make sense. smile

You are welcome Bev

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.