assessment

Posted , 6 users are following.

im not sure if you,ll remember me from a few weeks ago when i brought up about my son being on dla ,which is now going to change to pip well the form were filled in for the 28th march and ive just received date of f2f for the 23rd april i thought id have to be waiting ages , i surpose it best getting over with sooner rather than later ,  ive not told my son as he will only cause him get stressed , i know i am already i hate these sort of things any advice

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Yes i remember you. Is the assessment at home or do you have to go to them? Either way if you're his appointee then you'll be able to answer all the questions on his behalf. The only ones you won't be able to answer are the ones at the end, if they ask them. For my daughter because she has mental health then they asked her to spell a word backwards and they asked her to add 2 numbers together.

The questions will be based on the PIP descriptors. You should answer them all with as much detail as possible. Remember they are trying to get the full picture of how your sons conditions affect him everyday. Assessments can last anywhere from 20 mins to 2 hours depending on the amount you have to tell them.

Give it 5 days or so after the assessment then ring DWP to ask them to send you a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with that report. It's also handy to have this if a decision doesn't go in his favour and you have to go down the MR/Tribunal route. Good luck.

• Posted

I have to go to them ,which I feel wont help he doesn't like going to places and meeting people he doesn't know plus he also doesn't like being asked about his illness , he got quite a lot going on at the moment he been attending a local college doing art which  he loves its a foundation course  so he has to do maths and English of which he is now struggling with so they say at the college he wont be able to continue for further year but they want him hope your sitting down denise to do a training course to go to work so could say he not a very happy bunny so Im hoping to get him into another college as he stil wants to do art ... so I feel by telling him about f2f appointment may push him over the edge which he doesn't need , any way hope you and your daughter are keeping well

• Posted

Does he have an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) Marie? This would help help him massively with everything up to the age of 25. I don't know what conditions your son has so it's difficult to advise. Do he have any support while he's at college?

As better has said you can ask for a home assessment but a letter from your GP would be needed stating the reasons why he can't attend their centres. Even then they can and have been known to refuse one.

Did you send in evidence to support his claim? and are you his appointee?

• Posted

Hi Denise

If someone fails to attend a Face 2 Face assessment the DWP can send out a PIP6000 asking you to explain what were the reasons for non-attendance.  If you can prove "Good Cause" you can force the assessment company to do a home visit.  This is my response when Atos or Capita attempt to force people to attend assessments when they are clearly not able to cope.

The other issue is if you attend a face to face assessment this will be used against you the next time you're invited to attend.

The DWP can override the decision of a HCP or the related company, if you have Good Cause for not attending.  It's the DWP who make the final decision not the HCP or the assessment company.

I run a Benefits Peer Support Group and many of our members have had home visits with my and other members encouragement and support.

If you want details about "Good Cause" let me know.

I hope the above info is helpful.

Edward

• Posted

Thanks for that, that's very interesting info. You learn something new everyday. This could actually help a lot of people. Thanks once again.

• Posted

Attending a Face-2-Face Assessment

Did you put the detail about your son's disability in the PIP2 "How Your Disability Affects You" form?  The section which asks if you have any issues with attending an assessment centre.  It's important you explain the difficulties he would have attending a place which is "unfamiliar."

Ask for a Home Visit

You can ask for a home visit even now but you will need to provide evidence from a GP confirming he is unable to travel by public transport and that the environment and having to cope with a stranger and answer questions to which he may not know the majority of answers would cause Overwhelming Psychological Distress and may result in him becoming aggressive / angry / abusive etc.

• Posted

I attached evidence also meds and hospital appointment all the evidence I could I photo copied them of course I never give originals ,, even mentioned that he gets stressed and cannot cope with any stress so any trips out so to speak has to be planned and discussed and hope it goes to plan no hiccups so to speak , I also sent copy educational care plan its such a nightmare but I know I not the only one whom has to deal with this thank you for advice Edward
  • Posted

he has an educational care plan , and there surpose to be support with class but they keep going off ,and they don't seem replace them with another member of staff,  I had a word with student co-orderater early this week and pointed out that they have tutors for dyslexia so why aren't they using them she didn't like what I said and couldn't really give me an answer , he 21 this year and has asd and learning difficulties , did you have any problem like this with your daughter denise I hope you don't mind me asking by the way ,   having some one to talk to is such a great help thanks Annmarie

• Posted

It's good that he has the EHCP but not so good that they aren't very understanding in college.

My daughter goes to college but she attends the special needs part of the college, along with other students with learning disabilities, ASD etc. She has 100% 1 to 1 support the whole time she's there and they're very understanding, i have to be honest. I get calls all the time from her tutor telling me how she's doing and if i have any problems all i have to do is ring and it's dealt with.

No, i don't mind you asking me. Please feel free to PM me at anytime also. It maybe better talking about personnal things through PM than here. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.