Assessments for both pip and esa two weeks apart

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hope people can barely with me new to all this I was diagnosed with bipolor two years ago I was very very poorly at the time I was given medication and I can honestly say it untill around five months ago I was ok but then started relying on my partner more and more I hardly sleep I hardley eat I've been to doctors on and of and all you get of them is we will have to contact further a field due to they can't see see to the medication that has been prescribed of a professor my issue is two weeks ago got an appointment for pip so attended today but next week I also have another assessment for esa as well another appointment about my mental health surely this can't be right two assessments that close together can't be right I feel as if there trying to tip me over the edge how long does it take roughly to hear on your decision also if you ask for a mandatory decision or have to go further a field do you still receive your pip and esa due to ive never had to do these before any answers would be appreciated

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI Tanya,

Yes it's perfectly normal to have 2 assesssments close together. This is because PIP and ESA are completly different benefits. ESA is about the work you can do and PIP is a disability benefit. People claim PIP and work.

There's no time scales to decisions. it all depends on the backlog in your area. A few days after each assessment you can ring DWP and ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision will be, as mostly they go with that report.

If the decision for either goes against you then you won't get paid while waiting for the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) with ESA if you're found fit for work then you money will stop straight away.

Do you have a PIP award at the moment? If not and the decision goes against you then you won't get any money. If you do have an award now and the decision goes against you then your money will continue for 4 weeks after the assessment and then it will stop.

Good luck and hopefully you're not waiting too long for a decision.

• Posted

Thankyou Denise for the reply yes im in receipt of them both it's just left me feeling a little humiliated on some of the questions they ask which I going myself getting upset to o can't complain on the assessment it's self due to who I seen was lovely and was trained in mental health but I just don't feel strong enough to do another assessment that close together to be fare but I know if esa would take this into consideration if i rang and asked for a appointment a bit later on

• Posted

You can change the appointment yes but you can only do this once. if you've already changed it before then you'll be unable to do this again. If you haven't changed it before then please think very careful before agreeing to the changed appointment. If you fail to turn up to an assessment then your file will be returned to DWP and you'll be refused that benefit.

I know these assessments are very stressful but changing the appointment will not make it go away. You will only become even more stressed thinking about it the longer you have to wait. Do you have anyone to go with you next week? This would save having to cancel and your stress continuing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.