Assessor report confused :S

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi im sight impaired and went for pip and got awarded enhanced mobility and 6 points for care now asking for mr the question i want to ask is can an assessor say you can physically do that task so no points awarded or say can use an aid but no physical problems holding symbol stick so no points awarded there is nothing wrong with my hands or legs 😕 its my eyes but the best one is cannot go out without guided aid 12 points but on the moving around i can walk to my local bus stop unaided 😕 0 points awarded thanks for reading

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This PIP is no easy black and white benefit to claim as we all know and sometimes we as the claimant feel that we have been given less points compared to the amount we think we should get.

Because your claim is only sight related I'm not 100% sure on the care side of things which is the part you think you have been short changed on.

Because you can walk without difficulty as in a physical way and that you don't have any problems moving arms etc do you think that's the reason for the low points you scored?

Denise will be on I'm sure and hopefully she will have a better knowledge of sight impairment, remember though it can actually go against you with MR they can change your claim completely

• Posted

Hi,

You can be awarded points for a descriptor even if you don't have a physical disability. People are awarded points for prompting to do something, or for using aids or even needing assisstance from another person.

Do you have a physical disability as well as being sight impaired?

• Posted

no just sight impaired and colour blind aswell and have to have all text in 22 and struggle with depth perception i scored 0 points on taking nutrition because i was holding a cane that was attached to my arm my problem isnt with holding a knife or fork when placed in my hand but seeing whats on the plate the hcp copyied and pasted the same observation on each page

• Posted

Hi,

The descriptor taking nutrition means eating basically. This activity considers a person’s ability to be nourished, either by cutting food into pieces, conveying it to the mouth and chewing and swallowing; or through the use of therapeutic sources.

The defined term ‘taking nutrition’ refers solely to the act of eating and drinking and so the quality of what is being consumed is irrelevant for the purposes of daily living activity 2. Therefore, if for any reason a claimant elects to have a bad or restricted diet, makes dietary choices or chooses to avoid certain foods as part of dietary requirements, they are nevertheless ‘taking nutrition’ to an acceptable standard and therefore will not score under activity 2.

There's 9 other daily living descriptors. You say you scored 6 points in the daily living part? What descriptors did you score points in? once i know this i'll try to help you further.

• Posted

2 points on reading and 2 points on preparing food and 2 points on washing and bathing but all based on the same observation holding symbol cane limited eye contact hcp observation but cm says made good eye contact throughout assessment i have made a mr and rnib have helped with this

• Posted

The points you scored will have been for using an aid in those descriptors. Read and understanding signs symbols and words, if you can read and understand what you read then you won't score anymore points than 2 for using an aid. I'm assuming you use a magnifying glass for reading? If so then this is classed as an aid for PIP descriptors.

As you've got help from RNIB then you really should let them deal with it because it's extremely difficult to advise someone when you don't know exactly how their conditions affect them. Do remember though that only 17% of MR decisions change, so it's likely you'll have to take it to Tribunal. Good luck.

• Posted

thank you for your help yeah the reading one is strange because they say normal text with an aid but i have to magnify to size 22 but cant see the full word just one letter at a time and change the text colour to see it but when outside i cant see an exit sign and because of my condition i can no longer work thank you again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.