AST and ALT Levels

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am hoping that someone can clarify somthing for me. I have, over the last year or so, had very high AST and ALT levels. At first they were around 100 and 150, respectively, and then kept climbing until they got up to 235 and 561 two weeks ago. I changed my diet and drinking habits and got them down to 89 and 225 yesterday.

My gastro told me that mainly the AST is associated with drinking and that the ALT is most likely caused by something else, but I can see a drastic difference in just 2 weeks. Can anyone clarify if the ALT is also getting affected by the drinking or what it could be?

I appreciate any comments. 

Thank you!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

My uncle had viral hepatitis A infection his AST and ATL levels would be sometime in the thousands . But, he's doing fine and made a full recovery with no liver disease. He use to be a heavy drinker but of course he completely change his entire life style

• Posted

Your doc is right in that alcohol typically doesn't bump ALT all that much, unless you're drinking very heavy. 

I would continue to monitor my enzymes and explore alternate possibilities for your high enzymes. If alcohol restriction keeps your numbers low, than go with what works.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.