Asthma and Ibuprofen?

Posted , 2 users are following.

i have mild asthma, i normally only get wheezy in cold weather and need to use my reliever only a couple times a month tops. I have been suffering with terrible toothache for two weeks in two teeth. I am seeing a dentist but the treatment has been very slow and im still in pain - im struggling to eat and sleep.

I have found that ibuprofen takes the edge off a little for a couple of hours so I have been taking two every four hours for the whole two weeks. I have never had any issues taking it before, however for the last two days i have been very wheezy, taking my reliever every hour or so and having coughing / wheezing fits all through the day and night. I was told by my doctor years ago that ibuprofen isnt good for asthmatics but i told him id never had an issue and he said it was ok to use it. Is this the ibuprofen? Its the only painkiller i have thats doing any good (albeit very little!) ive had such little sleep over the last few weeks i feel like im going mad. if i stop taking the ibuprofen then my only tiny bit of relief is gone, but is it going to do me harm?? ive only had one asthma attack in my entire life and it was terrifying, could this bring on another?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Becky

I'm afraid that I can't give you accurate information regarding Ibuprofen but wanted to send a virtual hug. Toothache is horrible pain!

Things you could do are to call your GP and ask to speak to the Asthma Nurse (your practice, particularly in the UK) should have one. She will have more 'technical' information for you.

Other than that it is, of course, possible that you are having a flare up of your asthma and that it is coincidental with your dental pain: there are so many viruses around at the moment and they may be making your chest unhappy.

If you stop taking the Ibuprofen, does the chest problem immediately clear? I don't know how long it would take for the drug to clear your system - you should seek some help.

With regard to the dental pain - using the following could help (it has done me!):

Put a whole clove on the gum where you have the pain. Leave it there and replace as necessary, every few hours. Don't use this at night if on an upper tooth as you could swallow it which probably... wouldn't harm you but it's not a great idea.

Buy some 'clove oil' and follow directions on the bottle. It does a similar thing to the whole clove.

Sit upright: I understand that the blood flow to a tooth is such that by sitting up, you reduce the pain of toothache.

Swill your mouth with half a teaspoon of salt mixed with half a glass of hot water. You could try doing a similar thing with a dispersible aspirin.

I also understand that 'mixing' drugs gives a better pain-killing effect, i.e. take one Ibuprofen with one Paracetamol. Of course, be careful as there is a different dosage for each drug - they are not to be taken more than the recommended doses (6 per day Ibuprofen, 8 per day Paracetamol).

Speak to a Pharmacist who could suggest a better drug regime.

Most of all, go back to your dentist and explain the pain you are in!

Wishing you a good outcome and less pain (and don't forget to seek advice on your breathing!).

GrannyBea

• Posted

thank you! I went out for some clove oil this morning and it is helping a lot! My chest got bad last night, i decided not to take ibuprofen today and have just stuck to paracetamol - this evening i feel much clearer. The clove oil is making the tooth issue a bit more bearable - thank you! ive decided to keep with avoiding the ibuprofen. For the little relief i was getting it isn't worth having the chest issues too! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.