Asthma and increased Prednisone dose

Posted , 8 users are following.

A couple of weeks ago I was hospitalised for Asthma for 5 days. Been an Asthmatic all my life  and have never been hospitalised Before. This really did take me by surprise. Was put onto 50mgms of Pred for 3 days then 25 mgms for 3 days then 12.5 mgms for 3 and now I am back at 10mgms. Whilst on the higher dose of Pred I felt great from the PMR point of view . Mind you watched TV all night due to pred insomnia.  Before the asthma episode I was managing Ok on the 10 mgms. I have given myself the 2 weeks to see if things would settle. 

I rested up during the 2 weeks and now decided it was time enough to resume my normal but PMR restricted life. Now that I am back at 10mgms I am struggling with the PMR. Thigh and shoulder pains, finger swelling. Some difficulty going up stairs and getting up from a sitting position.The asthma issue has resolved. A couple of questions. Could the Asthma episode have been the precursor to a PMR flare? Could it be because I came off the higher doses of steroids too soon? Do I up the dose of pred till,I get symptoms under control again. Your help would be appreciated. 

Thank you my dear forum family.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I suffered with Asthma for many many, years and then was put on BP meds 15 years ago because after a check-up I has in Hypertension.  The strange thing is -  I stopped having Asthma attacks, and also found I had bouts of low BP and feeling faint after around 6 months on 'Mr Fred'. My GP lowered the dosage of BP meds by half and I have not used my inhaler either!!

We are all different, one of the great things about being human!

• Posted

Hi Oregonjohn,

How strange but great for you that your Asthma has gone after taking the BP Meds. If I remember correctly some BP Meds can induce Asthma. Go figure. Yes, I am glad we are all different it helps us to grow as people when we learn from others experiences. 

Cheers

Kathy

• Posted

Slight amendment:

Asthma since a teenager.

Kathy - BP meds since 2001 shortly after I retired (sic)!.

Diagnosed PMR since July 2014.

Was around the end of 2014 that I both, after consulting with my GP, reduced the BP dosage by half and stopped using the inhaler as well, I had been finding that the inhaler had not been used very much in the proceeding couple of months while I was on 15 down from 20 mg of Mr Fred..  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.