Asthma and Perimenopause

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all...

I've recently been told I have asthma. I first noticed symptoms about a year ago but had no idea it was asthma related. At the same time is when I first noticed premenopausal symptoms and have tried to read up as much as possible on the subject.

My asthma nurse told me that hormones play a part in developing asthma and could be due to premenopause.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Dora

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dora yes I started in menapause last June and since had 2 bad asthma attacks and have also been diagnosed with it. Never had it until menapause xx
    • Posted

Thanks for reply Karen!

It's good to know I'm not alone.

I've been given a preventer and reliever inhaler. Worries me a little bit as never had asthma before. X

• Posted

Hi Dora - I am 60 years old, I have been post menopause for 5 years.  I started experiencing shortness of breath thinking it was panic attack related and finally went to allergy dr to find out I had allergy induced asthma.  I suffered from allergy induced asthma 20 years ago after our home underwent flooding from a bad storm and the mold & mildew really got to me.  I have been symptom free for almost 20 years!  Now out of the blue, asthma! I recently have come off a bad B/P drug & all my menopause symptoms have really ramped up.  I read that woman who have asthma, that there symptoms go away during pregnancy, but come back during menopause & it most certainly can be hormone related.  I find it interesting that I have just had my hormones evaluated & was diagnosed with elevated cortisol & I was getting all my shortness of breath attacks around dinner time and the allergy dr said that is when the cortisol levels either drop or increase - so I am wondering if all these woman who complain about anxiety attacks & shortness of breath, aren’t really just experiencing asthma attacks...it’s worth a visit to your allergist to get checked out - hope this all goes away for us soon -

• Posted

Thanks for reply Debra!

It's very re assuring to know that other women are experiencing or have experienced the same thing.

I had an asthma test at my local surgery but was not offered the allergy test.. maybe should mention this to my g.p.

I'm 42 and been having these symptoms for about a year now.

I'm currently under treatment for the asthma and trying to monitor it.

Interestingly, as you mention about anxiety/panic attacks..symptons are very similar and agree with you that there might well be women out there who are actually asthmatic.

Hope you feel better soon too x

• Posted

I have suffered breathlessness in peri and one of my friends developed asthma, hormones are atrange things as I never suffered migraines in my life but have the auras. My sister-in-law and another lady I know developed epilepsy so all sorts of things seem to come on in menopause
  • Posted

You are very insightful. I have panic attacks - and they are related to allergic asthma. I did not have it for many, many years. It started in peri. I used to have panic attacks and insomnia in my late thirties-I never thought they were asthma, but they were! unfortunately except for very rare albuterol inhaler I cannot take steroids. i wonder what is going to happen next? So far it is causing me severe anxiety and panic-and insomnia. 
  • Posted

Hi.

I was diagnosed as going through Peri around 4 years ago but struggled with a chronic cough over 12 months before that. around that time, I went from being extremely fit to not having the ability to do my fitness classes as I was exhausted and breathless. eventually I was diagnosed my asthma.

I believe my Peri triggered my asthma. my asthma is currently uncontrolled, I do no exercise and have out on over 2 stone in this time.

The exhaustion and lethargy of Peri compounded by my uncontrolled asthma and breathlessness means I struggle to exercise but without exercising, I can't lose the weight and also improve my asthma. its chicken and egg.

I am not on HRT as a bit nervous about it but I know I need it to help get some energy back. I am also hoping that after a few more weeks, my new asthma medication will kick in and also help.

I think having Peri AND asthma is hard work as some symptoms compound each other OR contradict. For example, I really need to sleep with my bedroom windows open as I get so hot with hot flushes during the night but the cold air isn't great for my asthma. what do you do??

I hope we can get more ladies who suffer with both ailments to come forward and discuss as I for one, would love to learn more and better understand how I can better manage both.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.