Asthma brought on by X food

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, Im 39 and have pretty much always had asthma. I wouldn't call it serious for me as I have only had one bad asthma attack before. I am also prone to what I thought were chest infections as I usually get one per year and I have also had three in three months. Lately my Dr says it isn't a chest infection and that it is a contracted breathing tube / air way (unsure of the jargon). To speed things up I am currently on a keto diet, each time I have a cheat meal, Chinese takeaway, Indian takeaway, perhaps a sandwich or something I start to get wheezy like when I think I have a chest infection. Last night I had a curry and could not breath this morning. Probably running at 50% breathing efficiency. I took my pink Fostair inhaler and it seemed to have fixed it.

I sense some food is causing me to have breathing problems. Has anyone heard of this before ? Many thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Food allergies, I have asthma and if I eat a food that I am sensitive to it will affect my asthma.

• Posted

Oh crikey that's what I suspected. How did you go about finding out which food affects your asthma ? My Dr seems disinterested.

• Edited

I did an allergy blood panel for food allergies.

• Posted

Okay great, I'lI look into that. Thanks

• Posted

My Dr said he can test me for gluten allergies but a test for finding out what someone is allergic to doesn't exist, he says. Rather confused..

• Edited

You can always keep a food journal and try to limit your foods. Some foods if you are allergic to you will have immediate symptoms after eating and will be easy to identify. SO if you suspect a certain food, try eating it on its own. Others are a little more difficult as you may not have symptoms for a day or two later.

• Posted

Ok great I will start noting all of my food. Thanks very much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.