Asthma drugs and anxiety.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, just had my preventer dose increased and some anxiety has returned that was gone after exercise and yoga.

It may not be linked, the and was due to a bad life changing event.

I was against taking any preventer anyway and doc is not good , a very sarcastic person so I can't return there.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi earthloop

I hope things level out for you. Anxiety is hard enough to cope with on its own without asthma .if I am honest I would strongly encourage you to take your preventer religiously. I didn't for years thinking I didn't really need it and consequently my chest got considerably worse leading to more frequent asthma attacks or chest infections. I'm on my third course of steroids (prednisone) this year already .I also developed pneumonia 2 years ago .I am a rather anxious person myself .kind of worry about everything and everyone. I lost my darling mum 13 months ago to chronic lung disease .she was hospitalised frequently in the last years of her life .when she was ill and needed me i would almost run on automatic pilot but when she would start to recover i often dipped and my chest would flare up.i genuinely believe anxiety and asthma are closely linked .even if you feel you're developing anxiety issues as a result of your preventative meds I would hope when they get into your system any anxiety linked to the inhalors would dampen down.?There is much less steroids in inhalors than in the oral tablets which most definitely cause horrible side effects such as difficulty sleeping, irritability and at times increased hunger .I would say taking the preventer is better as it might hopefully stop the need for any steroid tabs in the future which could make you feel a whole lot worse. You say you don't like your doc.some of their manners leave a lot to be desired.one of our lady GPs at our clinic is an absolute horror so much so many patients refuse an appt with her but the sad fact is she is one of the best diagnostics in the place. She once told me I was "very anxious" when I was discussing a ladies problem.lets just say if I was nervous or anxious sounding at first I felt a hell of a lot worse by the time I left the docs. If there are no other doctors you can see at your centre or it's too difficult to change to an alternative practice is there not an asthma nurse that you could discuss your concerns with ?

• Posted

Thanks beth,. I went all through my time in the air force only using a blue inhaler and another 12 years so now I have a preventer I had better start using it properly.

I don't want to have tablets and now at my age if I use the preventer there's a good chance I could stay ok

I've had some attacks reminiscent of when I was a kid so that's the cause of my visit to the surgery, plus some chemicals at work started me off.

I will read your post again : )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.