Asthma flare up, help please

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had an asthma attack on Friday morning, managed to stop it at home using blue inhaler and got to Dr's same day. Was given steroids and antibiotics and told it could be the start of a chest infection. Have been getting breathless since. Woke up by an asthma attack on the early hours of Sunday and got my partner to take me straight to hospital as blue inhaler didn't help. I was discharged about 8hrs later as I was admitted to short stay for observation.

I have been struggling with shortness of breath ever since, even eating is a problem and I am taking my blue inhaler about every 1-2 hours. It does seem to settle in an afternoon and is worse in a morning and night. The steroids and antibiotics don't seem to be helping. Should I go back to A&E or keep persevering?

When I do get breathless it takes about 4 - 6 puffs of the blue inhaler and spacer and about 30mins to settle.

My asthma is normally well controlled and have never been to A&E with an attack before. I take a revlar inhaler once a day normally but never usually use my blue inhaler.

Any advice helpful as I am scared, never had it like this before and not sure when I should seek help or manage at home.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ssandra

sorry to hear your under the weather  it sounds as if you have a chest infection I it always seem to me to take a while for the antibiotics and steroids 2or days so hopefully you should soon start to feel better.

if not straight back to the doctors for him to check you out again. He may send you to hospital for further checks are you coughing up anything up if so be sure to tell your doctor I know how frightening a bad attack can be but at least you know that by using your ventolin you can control your attack, enough to get to hospital hope this helps 

regards nigel

• Posted

Thanks, I am starting to cough up a thick white jelly type substance. The kind you would normally expect to be green.

I have had 4 days now on the steroids and antibiotics so hopefully tomorrow wont be as bad and I can get some sleep. It is very exhausting.

• Posted

Get straight back to the doctors. 

What other inhalers are are you on? You may need to increase the dosage of those. 

How many steroids are are you taking and what antibiotics? 

Id just stay in bed and relax until you get batter. 

• Posted

Been given predinisolone 5mg x 8 tablets for 5 days (only 1 dose left) and amoxicillan 500mg to take for 7 days.

I only ever usually take my revlar which is fluticasone furate 184/22mcg.

I seemed to pick up OK yesterday from about 3pm and only woke twice with a slight cough in the night. But then I did spend most of it resting on the sofa doing nothing.

I do seem to be getting breathless again this morning though. I have a follow up appointment at the hospital today from Sunday's asthma attack and then need to ring work.

• Posted

sounds to me that you could have used a nebulizer since that would work better then using the blue inhaler so much you have a infection and it takes a few days to start feeling better. Chat with your doctor again and see if you can use a nebulizer

• Posted

Turns out I have used the blue inhaler too much and am almost tachycardic thanks to incorrect advice given to me by gp and a&e doc. The respiratory nurse has completly changed all of my med's today and said I should start to feel better tomorrow but it will take a day for the side effects of the blue inhaler to wear off.

I have a new action plan, inhaler and a rescue pack of predinisolone to keep in the cupboard.

• Posted

Thats Brilliant news Sandra I bet you feel a relieved I’m pleased you have got a new plan and meds you have seen someone that’s given proper care ! .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.