Asthma induced by menapause

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello lovely ladies!! just wondering if anyone out there has contracted menopause related asthma and if u have what were your symptoms!!! I EXPERIANCED SHORTNESS OF BREATH AND CHEST PAIN WHEN I WAS DANCING ON NEWS YEARS EVE,, They have been checking my heart and so far everything is normal so was wondering if anyone has experiance with this?????

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beverly - Yep! Gasping for air & it seems to come on in the evening - My allergy dr said that is when your cortisol is at the lowest & i guess that contributes to respitory issues - yes, i had been diagnosed with allergy induced asthma over 20 years ago when we had flooding after el nino - once that subsided, i havent had any issues until now - i had a few scary episodes & was using my inhalator, nasal spray & allergy tabs regularly, but have backed off using them. i do however carry them with me everywhere i go. i dont remember having chest pain with it, but i have had every kind of aches & pains & burning sensation/tingling that i might have - i will tell you this, no dr will admit that this could be a symptom of menopause...but it is! Hormones & the lack there of affect every system in your body - good luck!

• Posted

I know it is Debra, Thank goodness there is starting to be alot more research on it,, I DON'T HAVE AN INHALER AND I AM SCARD UNTIL THEY GET THIS IRONED OUT! THIS KINDA STARTED FOR ME AFTER A BOUT OF THE FLU AND IT WENT TO MY CHEST, I GET SHORTNESS OF BREATH AND A LOT OF COUGHING, I REALLY DON'T WHEEZE A LOT BUT, I DO WANT AN INHALER IF I CAN IN CASE I HAVE ANOTHER BAD EPISODE,,, COLD AIR REALLY SEEMS TO EFFECT ME ALSO!!! WE HAVE ASTHMA IN MY FAMILY AND ALOT OF ALLERGIES AND AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE, ALL THIS MENO MAKES EVERTHING WORSE, THE NIGHT I HAD THE ATTACK I STARTED MY CYCLE AFTER 4 MONTHS NO CYCLE...

• Posted

FORGOT TO ASK THE CHEST PAIN IS MORE OF A TIGHTNESS DO YOU EVER GET THAT??? THANKS DEBRA❤️❤️

• Posted

hi Beverly - i am no DR, but it sounds like classic asthma symptoms - if you feel like you are in distress, run the shower & get the room steamy hot, also caffeine helps with an attack, i believe. just best to get meds so you have in your back pocket - good luck!

• Posted

I second the hot shower. I have also used boiling water on the stove. Be careful not to breathe the hot steam right into your lungs! Also, this might sound weird, but I sometimes stick my head in the freezer and breathe in the cold air. This might make it worse for some people, so be careful! Oh, I should also mention that I keep a full jar of Vicks Vapor Rub on hand. I do not apply it to my skin. If I am exhausted from having an attack (sometimes mine last for 24 hours), I will lay in bed holding the jar and slowly breathe in the smell. I am not suggesting you try anything I mentioned because they might make it worse for you. I just wanted to mention the weird stuff I have done in an attempt to breathe. I also tried allergy shots and I do think they helped, but once I stopped, so did the effects.

• Posted

Thank you for good ideas staci, Actually already found one of my triggers is cold air as i live in arizona and its always warm so cold fairs for me, Looks like i have some things to learn❤️

• Posted

Hello

Yes, I have menopause induced asthma (well actually perimenopaused induced asthma). It started about 5 years ago. The symptoms are/were classic asthma symptoms: shortness of breath, tight chest, difficulty getting over colds etc Cold air, pollution, exercise, colds are/were typical triggers. I also developed allergies against loads and loads of things. I had several very severe asthma attacks and had to be hospitalised and take medication daily. I would say that it was was really pretty bad for about 3 years but since starting bioidentical hormones or maybe just passing through a certain stage in the menopause journey, everything has greatly improved and basically gone.

Whether it is menopause induced or not, it is asthma and you need to treat it as such. Using an inhaler can be life saving. Being menopause induced just gives you the hope that it will go away away again.

Keeping anxiety down really helped me too and following the BUTEKO method.

Good luck and stay positive

• Posted

All of you guys have been so much help, I know doctors are going to be hard on me as debra said they dont believe it is menapause induced... I GET ALOT OF COUGHING WITH MINE THOUGH... thank you for all the good info gerry u are right on...

• Posted

Wow, this is interesting! A couple of year ago, I was diagnosed with seasonal allergies/reactive airway/minor COPD, as I was having a hard time breathing (mostly trouble with fully exhaling, leading to a constant cough) mostly in the fall and spring. I've been on a variety of inhalers and allergy pills (Zyrtec) since then. I (nor my doctor) have ever made the connection to perimenopause, but I guess there could be one.

• Posted

Te,,, I have the cough but also get shortness of breath, and had an exercise induced episode, The thing is I never have any COUGH, SHORTNESS OF BREATH, CHEST TIGHTNESS OR ANYTHING UNTIL RIGHT NOW IN MY TRANSITION FROM PERI TO MENAPAUSE I HAVE MISSED LIKE 4 PERIODS MANY TIMES BUT STILL CONTINUE TO SPOT... ALL MY ASTHMA STUFF STARTED WITH THE WORSE COLD I HAD EVER HAD AND THE CUT DOWN MILES OF CORN FIELDS WHEN I WAS VISITING MY GIRLFRIEND BACK EAST... Thank u Te

• Posted

Te, did yours start in a certain way???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.