Asthma or Anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey Guys,

I have asthma and anxiety. Whenever, I have an anxiety attack. I get scared, have shortness of breath, can't even speak much, sweaty palms. I sometimes have this sensation, even after I used my inhaler. 

However, during my asthma attack, I mostly feel the same thing and on both the occasions, I used inhaler just to console myself. 

Can you please advise, how do I differentiate between the 2.

Thanks

Ranjit

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you are just having panic attacks you have to learn difference. Learn to relax or use what you know that will relax you.
  • Posted

I am also curious the answer from others ... since there is always discussion of the link between anxiety & stress and asthma (and eczema).

In my experience during an asthma attack you don't get sweaty palms.  Also, although the sensation of not being able to breathe well can make you a bit anxious the more often you have it you get used to the fact that you just need some albuterol and it will get better.  Finally if you wheeze enough other people can hear it, which I doubt happens during panic attack.

Other thoughts anyone?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.