Asthma vs anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but how can I tell the different between having an asthma attack and having an anxiety/panic attack?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

Over the years I've had both and can definitley tell the difference.  Perhaps the key thing with an asthma attack for me is that it responds to my ventolin inhaler whereas an anxiety attack doesn't.  But thats just me, we are all different.  One thing I do know is that an asthma attack can bring on anxiety sometimes for soem people, so its perhaps not that clear cut.

Hope you are OK

xxxxx

• Posted

Thanks Lizzie

I do have inhalers but im scared to use them encase it's not asthma.

I just wish I knew what the exact symptoms of asthma were and if there were any discreet differences.

Since knowing I could have asthma I now live in fear of having an attack and my life has changed so much due to me being scared xx

• Posted

If you are using the ventolin inhaler, which is the one I use, its blue by the way, you can't do yourself any harm unless you exceed the recomended dose.  Don't be afraid, and if in doubt, why not pop into to see the nurse at your local surgery, ours are very good on giving asthma advice and training as to how to use an inhaler.

For me my asthma manifests itself as wheezing and shortness of breath.  My anxiety is mainly uncontrollable fear, they are totally different.  Are you taking anything for your anxiety? there are some very good meds out there which your gp will be able to advise you on

All the best

xxx

• Posted

Totally agree with 'Lizzie' that anxiety can bring on some asthma attacks, suffered by some people, this is accepted within the medical profession.

My Consultant of respiratory (also a Professor) medicine shared with me that factor, that there is a link between the two-asthma-stress.

Stress being a factor that could bring on asthma, not the other way around.

Your anxiety sounds like a problem to you, like 'tinytitch' suggested go and visit a qualified practice nurse re: asthma or your own GP, they will reassure you.

The sooner your fears are sorted then your stress levels will lower and therefore avoiding high blood pressure...

Being in a highly anxious state can raise your blood pressure, so have a 'yearly review,' that is offered by all GP's, NOW for all issues eg - 'Chlorestrol' etc.

Take care, co-incidentally my review starts tomorrow with a fasting to-night after 10pm and a blood test tomorrow morning for, as mentioned 'Chlorestrol, then an appt with my doctor for the results in a weeks time ..Q.E.D X'

tinytitch if the anxiety is getting out of hand and you go to bed worrying, and also wake up in a state of stress ask to see your GP, for a referral to one of many options for counselling, you do not have to go on this anxious journey without professional help..it is out there.

Take good care.

Helen x

• Posted

Sorry for the delay in responding - thank you for taking the time to reply with advice.

I think going forward I will use the blue inhaler when im feeling a bit off in the hope it will help.

I've also booked an appointment to see the asthma nurse for next Tuesday to tell her my fears (once again).

In regards to medication for my anxiety I was prescribed fluoxetine but I didnt want to rely on medication to make me feel better so haven't taken them.

I'm currently having CBT therapy and hoping that will help.

I admit I am stressed and get easily stressed and worried which probably isn't good for my health. I always seem to worry about things which have yet to happen.

I just want to be 'normal' again where illness didn't ruin or control my life - I hardly go work now, need someone with me whenever I go out etc xx

• Posted

Asthma and anxiety are similar, especially if your anxiety turns into panic attacks and/or causes physical symptoms as well as fear. With asthma i typically have the shortness of breath where my airways feel constricted breathing in and out and i wheeze. With anxiety i feel worried and stress over every little detail and don't like going out. When anxiety starts turning into a panic attack, i get the anxiety symptoms plus chest tightness, rapid heart beat, sometimes nausea and/or vomiting and dizziness or tunnel vission. Also sometimes I will hyperventilate with dizziness and tingling in my face typically beginning with my mouth. There is another similar issue that can be mistaken for asthma or anxiety especially since it can go along with anxiety and looks a lot like exercise enduced asthma. It's called hyperventilation syndrome. It differs from exercise induced asthma in that an inhaler won't work and can actually exasperate the problem and you don't have the restricted airways but rather it feels lije yoy can't get enough air and breathing is rapid and deep. Can get too much air in your lungs that feels uncomfortable inspite of still feeling like you dont have enough air. I'd ask your doctor hyperventilation syndrome could be a possibility.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.