astigmatism unchanged after toric lens inplant

Posted , 6 users are following.

No change in the amount of my astigmatism with toric lens after surgery cataract right eye 2 weeks post op. Cylinder continues to be -125 and  axis changed from 110 to 100 on eye glass prescription. It is like a regular lens to see far was placed rather then a toric lens which I paid for. Have contacted the office several times but no call back from surgeon or explanation from anyone. Have upcoming appointment with surgeon in a few weeks. Suggestions ?  

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Is your spherical vision (near sightedness) corrected? Your doctor may need to go to the toric recalculator at to re-calculate the lense rotation for the astgmatism correction. I would personally wait 4-6 weeks though first to see if maybe your lenses just need to settle a bit.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) as it was broken. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Cheryl - how do you know a regular lens was implanted vs toric one you paid for?   If by results - there could be explanations for why astigmatism didn’t correct.  You would need to see chart (and in a lot of cases a card (size of a credit card) for your wallet is provided by the hospital or surgical clinic which indicates lens type/model).  Of particular importance to obtain if only one eye being operated on and other eye not needing cataract surgery for years.  This provides the next surgeon with info on lens implanted so they can better match / complement with 2nd eye IOL.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Sue.An. I had both eyes done a little less then 2 weeks apart.I had my left eye done prior to my right and there was a marked improvement in my astigmatism in the left eye. They gave me cards listing that both lenses are toric with type/model. I was expecting with a toric lens I would have some type of change in my astigmatism in my right eye as well. However there was no change at all as far as my astigmatism, that is why I am saying it was like having a regular lens and not a upgrade. 
    • Posted

Yes you can expect improvement however toric lenses are prone to shift and if they do it won’t help improve the astigmatism.  There are markings on them as night hawk mentioned that your surgeon upon examination should be able to determine whether the lens has rotated.  This can happen during first few days/weeks until the lens adheres/heals into place.   The lens can be rotated back or surgeon may offer lasik to improve the astigmatism.  But first things first you’ll need the surgeon tho examine that eye.
    • Posted

The day after surgery the surgeon did say the lens was in place. I do have an upcoming appointment with the surgeon the end of the month I made with him prior to my concern with the unchanged astigmatism. To the best of my knowledge he does not ordinary do follow-ups beyond the first post-op appointment, and felt he was offering me a follow-up appointment with him because he was  concerned because my eye pressure was high. I was very happy to get the appointment and never questioned why I was being offered one. When I went to see my optometrist he said my eye pressure was good. Very glad I have an appointment because I have not gotten a call back from my surgeon office explaining why my astigmatism is unchanged. Thanks for your reply SuAn
    • Posted

Cheryl- I don’t consider that good follow up from a surgeon to see you only at 24 hour post op.  He/she should at minimum see you at 1 week and again at 6 weeks (6 weeks is when complete healing takes place provided there were no additional issues and complications).   If you haven’t  seen the surgeon since that 24 hour post op there is no other way for you to know if that toric lens has rotated.  It is fairly common for them to rotate. 
    • Posted

Sue.An- Had my right eye done 6/24 my follow up is not until 7/30. If I do not hear back from him today I will call his office for the 3rd time. I have been waiting to hear back from him since Monday. He operates on Tuesdays and Thursday.  If it has rotated I would think the sooner he sees me the better. Not sure what kind of time would be needed to see if it settles in. What is your opinion? Thanks again for your reply. 
    • Posted

Sue.an correction my right eye was done 6/26
    • Posted

Yes if you haven’t seen your surgeon since 24 hour post op would be good to have him examine your eyes to check to see if lens has rotated.

Do you know if any enhancements were included with fees you paid?  I don’t think they will do anything much till at least 6 weeks have passed.  If lens has rotated you would need to choose between surgically having it rotated back (but lens could again shift) or have lasik done to correct the astigmatism.   Just my opinion but if it were me I likely would go with lasik enhancement rather than undergo surgery again with no guarantee that it wouldn’t rotate again.   

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Sue. An. Did not pay for an enhancement and would be fine with some improvement. However I got no change at all in my right eye as far as the astigmatism despite paying for a toric lens. I agree the lasik would be better then trying to rotate it back in place if rotation is the problem. I very much appreciate your input.

• Posted

If the toric lens rotated or shifted at all you would not see the benefit. Needs to be in exact position.

Some clinics offer with premium lenses (toric lenses are considered premium lenses) enhancements and include it in the fees they charge.  Something if others are reading this should discuss with their surgeon prior to surgery.   Often times enhancements are needed to rotate toric lenses, tweak the power of it is off etc.  Whole point of a premium lens is to get best vision possible without glasses so you’ll want to know if adjustments are included in what you paid or going to cost extra.

• Posted

Sue.An, I checked my pre-Op papers. Under MSP surgery at the hospital, Toric lens is $1003 per eye.  For a private surgery, Toric lens is doubled that amount per eye, which also includes laser PRK touch-up.  Thus, it makes more sense for those who opt for Premium Lenses to do it in a private surgery.
    • Posted

My apologies.  It should read ~ For a private surgery using a Toric lens, the price is doubled that amount per eye, which also includes the cataract surgery plus a laser PRK touch-up if necessary.

Found this on the COS site: "Toric lenses are considered non-essential and are usually not covered by provincial and territorial health plans; the cost for these lenses varies between offices and hospitals but the Canadian Ophthalmological Society recommends that charges for the use of this lens should be approximately $951."

• Posted

Seems even in Canada price varies for premium lenses.  My Symfony lenses were $1,200 per eye less credit of $300 per eye (cost of monofocal lens that Canada would have covered).

Yes if in Canada or USA if opting for premium lenses which may require tweaking after surgery better to do that privately and have everything covered.

• Posted

Everyone is supposed to get a card with the IOL information after a cataract surgery. What is listed on your card?
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply at201. I have acrysof Toric lens in both my right and left eye. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.