Asymptomatic MV regurgitation with prolapse, to surgery or not

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello

47 year old, 2.5 years ago I was diagnosed with MV regurgitation with prolapse. I dont have symptoms like shortness of breath .

6 months before MV diagnose I was diagnosed with High Blood pressure, which I never had in my life.

I dont have any major illness .

Since visited cardiologist first time , I had 5 echocardiagrams and 2 TEE's , as well as some other procedures like Carotid etc.

In those echo's the result was medium/severe mitral valve regurgitation with prolapse

My cardiologist kept telling me we should watch and wait , I moved to a new city and now my new cardiologist says I should have the surgery because LV got bigger.

He asked for a TEE which confirmed :

Severe Regurgitation with posterior leaflet prolapse , likely a fail segment

LV: Moderately dilated

LA: Moderately dilated

I also started to have PVCs (6000 a day) since oct 2021

I wanted to ask whether anyone had similar experience? Any tips?

A few things dont makes sense to me.

First of all some of the echos said I have posterior prolapse some said its anterior some said its bi-leaflet.

1. How come they cant identify which leaflet?

The last TEE says "likely a flail segment" , so they are not sure again whether I have a flail or not

2. The LA and LV sizes were going up and down +- 10%, is this human mistake when measuring?

3. The echo's were alternating between moderate/severe and severe regurgitation, again is this human mistake ?

Below are the echo details:

8/2020 echo:

EF :57%

LA :4.2 cm ( dilated)

LVIDd: 5.5 cm

Moderate/Severe Regurgitation

moderate prolapse of mv leaflets

2/2021 echo:

EF: 60%

LA:4.3 cm (dilated)

LVIDd: 5.1 cm

Severe Regurgitation

Anterior and posterior prolapse

6/2021 Echo:

EF : 60-65%

LA:3.7

LVEDD: 5.3

Moderate/Severe Regurgitation with posterior leaflet prolapse

11/2021 Echo:

EF : 65-70%

LA:4

LVEDD:5

Severe Regurgitation ,

Anterior leaflet prolapse, thickened leaflets

5/2022 Echo:

Dont have all the details but the dr said LV is dilated with severe regurgitation

6/2022 TEE:

EF: 65-70%

Severe Regurgitation with posterior leaflet prolapse , likely a fail segment

LV: Moderately dilated

LA: Moderately dilated

I started to have arythmias in oct 2021, (after a dinner) , the holter shows 6000 PVC

No AF

In the past :

in 2002-2003, I had arhytmias happening once a month , it was like : my heart rate goes up to 130 for a few mins and suddenly dropping to regular rate. At that time I visited a cardiologist, they put me on holter and stress test. They said everything is good. This artyhmia disapperad in 2006 or so ..

2010, My then primary care dr heard a murmur and asked me if I had any heart problems, I told him the arythmias that happened before. He didnt refer me to cardiologist.

Appreciate any tips suggestions

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.