At 5 weeks out from surgery tomorrow

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi , I am new to this site. Was curious as how others haveinTKR are doing.

the pain after surgery was horrific. I had to stay in the hospital 5 days instead of the 3 they proposed. I did not want to go to aa rehab , so I forced myself to walk further and the morning that I conquered the stairs I went home.im very lucky to have my husband at home who has taken great care of me.

as for me; I am intent on doing my exercises , walking and icing.

the last 2 days are the first that I've been of of pain meds.

happy about that, but still taking some Advil.

oh, also, I have graduated from the walker to a crutch and now since yesterday a cane😆

I would love to join the discussion and hear how everyone else is doing!

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi damy welcome .   seems like your doing very well for 5 wks off meds already is super but if you hit a bad patch which is possible then please do take them they will help you if that happens     like you i had my husband home with me which was a big help some of us are doing great while others are struggling at times but as with any forum you here of the worst senario .    but here i must say its pretty even and all here are willing to help each other we are all very lucky to have each other. 
    • Posted

Hi Irish Linda,

thanks for ur input. How long ago did u have ur surgery?

i am happy to have found this forum as it really helps to communicate with others who are going thru similar circumstances.

thank you for all ur input. I will take the meds if I need them. I am far from a martyr!!

• Posted

i had bi lateral dec 2012 but he broke my tibia during op ,3mths later i had broken cement floating around in my knee so had to have it opened up again to wash it out ,my bend was only 70deg and didnt improve had mua to bend keyhole worked for short period so i had a revision aug 2014 ,bend improved straightening is struggling and still working on that .revision had to be done because of severe pain and lack of bend . when revision was done it showed that it was miss alighned so mine was far from good good to hear that your doing great
    • Posted

That sounds awful. Glad I didn't read this pre surgery! I would never have had it done! My husband had his hip replaced w/ the dr. That I used 7 yrs. ago and has done great. We also know others had surgery w/ this dr. I live I the Boston area and our dr. Is affilliated w/ New England Baptist Hospital , which we hear is one of the best joint replacement hospitals in the country. A lot of people we know go to the hospitals in Worcester, Ma. Which are much closer to us, but we opt to travel an hour and see the dr. From NEBH.
    • Posted

even though i had a rough time i still would not want to put someone off TKR mine was rare or should i say a f*ck up by the surgeon ,it should never have happened ,but what can you do it has changed my life forever .i just tell people research! research !  double make sure the surgeon is better than good .
  • Posted

You are about par for the course. That 3 day thing is what insurance companies push for. At my hospital you normally go home on the fourth day. Careful of trying to quit the pain meds. Most people find that to be a noble objective but find realism become becomes a stronger motivation. If you take them as prescribed you are not going to get hooked. If you use them for aches rather than pain you can have problems and with this surgery you really know the difference. The repeating message you will here is that we are all different and you have to listen to your body and brain and not a Dr's or therapists report for your decision making. Keep up the excercises, icing and elevation making sure you are taking in huge quantities of water. Hydration is extremely important to proper healing. Set goals but make sure the as re not so lofty they become unreachable. More people have setbacks because of overworking the legs than do because of too much rest. I've been through complete Rehab 5 times and a total of 11 surgeries on the knee and leg. None have been the same. I was sailing through this one knowing that my healing curve will be much longer because of all the whacking and chopping. Suddenly, this past week things have gone south on me. I'm now backing off. Regrouping and starting the journey again. I've been at the desired points of ROM for ME, not someone younger going through it the 1st time. The big thing, don't get discouraged. These little setbacks come and go. Let your brain be the messenger. If you are in pain.......quit.......you can rest a day or two and get back in the groove in a hurry. You have immediate friends from all over the world instantly on this site. They can give you a million dollar education free of charge because we all have something in common.....we've been through it. Many more than once. Keep your spirits up and try and get in a least one good laugh a day.....your brain will thank you and then translate that to your body. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi, good to get ur reply.

i am not a martyr and will take meds as needed . I am icing and elevating and drinking water.

sorry to hear of ur many surgeries!! I wish you the best. I too, am a big. Eleven in knowing what is best for me. I have not pushed myself to go out or drive. I'll k ow when I am ready. I do believe doing the exercies diligently and I g are of upmost importance. The ask for pointing out now fluids are so important t to healing! I will sipp my herbal iced tea right this. Dry mi ute😆

• Posted

I believe your hospital is where my Dr did his fellow program a few years ago. You will need a lot of extra hydration this weekend to relenish the years after my chiefs rout the team that doesn't even have a city that will claim it and has to use a general area for identification. Gonna be a fund Sat afternoon
  • Posted

It was nearly four years ago that I had my TKR so trying hard to think back.

I was in hospital for 9 days and had trouble bending my knee.

Then went to physiotherapy 3 times a week. These visits were then reduced and finally I was discharged from phsiotherpay after about 3 months.

It was very hard work but well worth it in the end and has been successful.

Hope it is successful for you too.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Thought I would check in. I'm 51/2 weeks out from TKR ON LEFT KNEE.

I have been off my pain meds except for Advil for 6 days. I actually feel much better w/of them. My system seems to be back in order And appetite increasing. Went to the market on Saturday and was surprised at how uncomfortable it was. It was a bit of a setback in my frame of mind to find it so difficult! 

But, today was a different story. It is a holiday here in the states MLK DAY, and I went out to the movies w/ hubby. We chose a threat re where they have installed cushy, reclining seats! Just. Glorious!! I did very well and even had the mood and stamina to go out for some dinner. 

All in all, a great day!! I see the light and am beginning to feel almost human😀😝 most admit it's aching tonite, but that seems to be par for the course in the evening. Tomorrow is PT, lets see how much he pummels me!😆

So far pleased w/ my progress. I do elevate and ice a lot. Let me know how ur all doing. Best. Of luck out there in knee replacement land!

• Posted

Hi Damy, I am 13 days post surgery, had a left tkr on Jan 6th, and was wondering if you had any problems with pain on left side of thigh when sitting, I have this pain and its above where my drain tube came out. I agree with everything you say about it being extremely painful.Glynis
    • Posted

Hi Glynis, not sure if I ever replied to you! I too had trouble sitting, it was my worst position! I did not have a drain tube, as far as I know.

i am now at 11 1/2 weeks and doing pretty well. 

Off of most pain meds. Haven't taken anything today. My biggest issue is not havi g enough stamina to conduct my day lime I was used to. But, can't really complain. I have been going to outpatient pt since my 5 the week. I have 3 more weeks scheduled and then will be discharged.

how have u been doing

• Posted

Hi Damy,

It will be 7wks this Wednesday since my surgery.

My consultant thinks I may need an MUA, my bend was at 110 but due to my whole leg swelling ( looks like an elephant leg lol ) it's gone back to 90, I'm still on pain meds twice a day and try my hardest to bend & straighten at least four times a day.

I'm resting and icing after exercising and elevate regular.

I'm the same,haven't got the stamina to do normal walks like I used to do.

I'm back for physio on Wednesday and I'm not looking forward to it.

So pleased you are doing well, please keep in touch with updates on your recovery x

• Posted

An MUA with a 110 bend. Wow! I'd really have to think about that. I'm thinking the bend will Definately get better and the swelling is Definately something that could diminish over time but.....he's The Dr and knows your case.
    • Posted

Hi oldfatguy,

I did have a 110 bend but it's gone back to 90, he thinks I've either got a lot of scar tissue or something has moved slightly, the swelling is worse now than when I had surgery.

He did say that I have to have an x-ray which is happening on Wednesday just before my physio session, I'm hoping that I don't need the MUA will have to wait and see x

• Posted

Oh, so sorry to hear about ur extreme swelling! R u elevating above ur heart? That is important. Drink a lot of water and low on salt. Good luck. Let us know ur progress❤️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.