At a loss as to what to do next

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've tried all of the local places that will help people and they all have wait lists. I'm lost and I have no clue what I should or can do. Other than find a new doctor. Which won't happen fast on a very limited budget and no insurance. I will put my story below. I hope I'm doing this correctly. If not I'm sorry.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Good news to report!!!! After hours on the phone the pharmacist called my Dr. Instead of a $500 inhaler, it's $6.67. I'm so happy, I'm praying it works for me so I can at least breath better while I go about figuring the rest out. Thank you to each person who commented. You don't know how much I needed encouragement.
    • Posted

Yeah!  So happy that you got your inhaler sorted out, now just keep on keeping on Krissi.  Good girl, well done.  Can't believe anyone else on here hasn't said this to you, the most important thing you can do when you have copd is to quit smoking.  One step at a time, and you did go today.  I'm proud of you.  xo
    • Posted

you did good not go today!
    • Posted

That's fantastic, Krissi! That's the price I pay this year on 2d tier of low-income M'care Part D Rx coverage for name brand drugs. You do have to stay on it a while for it to work, it's not a rescue inhaler. Always rinse your mouth with water after using this one and don't swallow the rinse water. You will need to keep trying that nebulizer for awhile since you weren't given a rescue inhaler.

BUT: it will work better if you quit smoking. Some states have free smoking cessation programs. The American Lung Association has free online help. What all of them say is that it is best to have a plan. We're here to cheer you on, most of us know how hard it is. We know how hard it is to think about quitting!

So keep up on getting help in the form of insurance and a better gp, and then start checking into smoking cessation program - ask your insurance company, some will cover this.

Sending you all sorts of prayers and mental hugs, plus patience, as there are going to be lots of lengthy phone calls with unbelievable amounts of time on hold.

Aitarg (I'm a woman not that it matters)

• Posted

To you and Terry and everyone else who replied I have great news!!! I do not have an kind of insurance so the pharmacy called in for a cheaper medicine. $6.67!!! I did not know it required a nebulizer. So after grocery shopping short of breath, I came home carried groceries up a flight of stairs, and proceeded to call around and found one at Barnes for only $39, a lot cheaper than everyone else. I had just enough left from getting groceries. I have used the nebulizer once now. I'm so happy. I now have Ipratropium Inhaler 0.02% Sol Nephron THREE times a day and a ProAir rescue inhaler. Do you all know anything about the nebulizer drug such as tips or things to avoid and what to expect.
    • Posted

Obviously, "I don't know you" but I am so happy and pleased for you Krissi. There is help out there, you just needed to ask!  I don't know anything about the nebulizer, etc. but I'm sure someone on this forum will have good advice for you regarding that.  Great news.  x
    • Posted

Nebulizer is a equipment that is use to deliver the drug to your lungs. It is a machine which is connected to a small mask. there should be a baloon like opening in the tube for the medicine. just plug it in and cover your mouth with the mask. the drug will be delivered as vapour to your lungs. 

Most important above all is stop smoking right away. Stay away from places and people who smoke. You will live longer and fuller life. There is a lot of research going on Stem cells for COPD. May be in our life time(as we both are still young) we will have a cure for this disease. Hope for the best.

• Posted

Hi Krissi

So still much cheaper than $500!

Be sure to follow the instructions for cleaning the mouthpiece or mask. In my area an adult would only receive the harder plastic barrel and mouthpiece; children would get the mask. You open the barrel to pour in the meds.

Of course you'll still work on getting better medical care and on quitting cigs. Just think you'll have more money after you quit cigs. I don't recall how much you smoke but even 1 pack per week costs $5 to $10, which adds up to a lot of extra money for folks in our boat.

About stem cell: no offense intended to anyone, but this is pie in the sky thinking and please don't use it as a reason to keep smoking. Yes maybe there are some clinical trials going on in the States, but you'd need to live close by or be able to afford to travel One also needs to be free of other significant health issues. Michael J Fox has been hoping for stem cell treatment for his Parkinson's for at least 20 yrs. While something might come thru in 5 yrs, it might well be 50 yrs-to-never. So please do everything you can to take care of yourself now. If stem cell therapy comes through, you'll be in better shape to perhaps qualify. Whenever it comes through it won't be cheap for Americans (for Brits, everything in the new world is cheap because their money is worth more than ours), especially if we can't find you some insurance.

Aitarg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.