At a loss...what next?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi everyone...just need someone advice on what i should do next. i was diagnosed hypothyroid last November with

TSH 5.95

FREE t4 1.01 (.82 - 1.77)

FREE t3 2.4 (2.0 - 4.4)

i started naturethroid and slowly titrated up to .75 grain and next set of labs were

TSH 4.03

FREE T4 .92

FREE T3 2.4

so i went up to 1 grain and now my labs are

TSH 1.54

FREE T4 .97

FREE T3 2.4

i am so at a loss why my TSH is coming down but the other two are not budging. Do i increase my meds yet again?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I find that I only feel good when my tsh is near 0 and the other two results are right at the top of the ranges. I also take ndt. I takes my body at least 7 weeks to adjust to a dose increase or decrease-how often are you testing? If its been a while and you feel tired etc then I would probably increase again if you can tolerate it. Sometimes it takes months or even years to get the right dose and it varies from person to person. It seems to be going in the right direction though.

• Posted

hi Heather, wow! That’s really great data. Your results show that your body likes to keep your T3 and T4 stable. Your TSH is below 2 now, so I wouldn’t increase your dosage any more- unless you're having hypothyroid symptoms.

Thyroid medications suppress your bodies own thyroxine production. Also, thyroid medications can cause bone loss. Really what you’re trying to do is find that sweet spot where you’re getting enough thyroid medication but you’re not suppressing your own production.

if you are still having hypothyroid symptoms, I would still recommend not increasing your dosage right away. Along with thyroid disease you often get other conditions such as gut problems that can lead to malnutrition. Malnourishment can cause thyroid symptoms.

If you haven’t already changed your diet to accommodate your thyroid disease, you might want to try that first before raising your dosage. Gluten free-paleo style diet, multivitamin and minerall supplements, and essential amino acid supplements can be extremely helpful for curbing thyroid disease. So you’re better off focusing on improving your nutrition and supplementing then increasing your thyroxine dosage.

Once you’ve improved your nutritional intake and your supplements, and if you still feel badly and are still having thyroid symptoms, then look again at increasing your thyroid medication.

There is reason for caution with thyroid medication- I say this, having been full circle with thyroid disease and medication. Doctors are very hesitant to increase thyroid doses, but they don’t explain why. They say oh, it causes heart disease or they say, bone loss. But that’s really not the whole of it. The real thing is that when you’re increasing your thyroid medication and it’s suppressing your own thyroxine production, you’re not really helping yourself. And in fact all you’re doing is making a bigger problem of suppresses your natural thyroxine production. It doesn’t serve you to take more medication if your body is going to shut down its own function.

• Posted

yes, it looks like you might need an increase. I'm on 1 grain of wp thyroid and waiting to test in a few weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.