at last I have a date for my AAA op

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a 7cm aneurism last August and I have just found out I am having a Fenstrate Endovascular op on the 12th April thank god, with it been 7cm I was told it could burst any time so as you can imagine I have suffered a hell of a lot of anxiety and depression and also has my wife, initially they were going to do open surgery but after I researched it and found out that at my age, (78) it was a very dodgy op and it could easy kill me I rejected it and it was then I was informed the alternative was an Endovascular which far less invasive on the body as it's only more or less Keyhole surgery but apparently it is quite a complex operation and can take up to 5 hours, because of this bloody aneurism I had to surrender my driving licence until after I have recovered, that was really frustrating and also I could not even think of booking a holiday so I was really depressed. But thank god I can look forward to the future providing my op goes well, I'm keeping eveything crossed.  I hope some of the info I give will help others in the same boat, James.

2 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

James- I wish you the best of luck with your surgery and a speedy recovery.

Just out of curiousity, what made your open surgery op so risky (as opposed to the normal risks associated w/major surgery)? I've done quite a bit of research myself, and I found out if it comes down to surgery for me, my only option is open heart---aortic root aneurysm currently at 4.7 cm

• Posted

Mide, the reasons I rejected open surgery was because of the procedure of the op, they cut you open from the top of the chest down to the groin, in other words it's very invasive on the body, and also there is a chance of getting infections also it's at least 3 months recovery time and when you are my age (78) you are never the same health wise and it weakens the body which never recovers back to normal. I would like to thank everyone who replied for your kind words and help. James

• Posted

I just had my AAA repaired 6 weeks ago. I went with the stent and it was a piece of cake. I'm 67 the surgery took about 3.5 to 3 hrs. I stayed overnight and I'm going back to work Wednesday. I was scared of the open ad well.

• Posted

Bless all of you who make it thru, i didn't have a choice, i had my AAA on  Feb 15th spent a week in the hospital,

rolleyesbiggrin

l feel ok now.not released from my Dr's yet. 

• Posted

We are with you and understand how much you have been thru .

many prayer sent ur way for a complete recovery.

• Posted

Prayers are with you and your wife for a successful surgery and great future!

Keep us posted. 🙏🏻??

• Posted

I'm 67 and had surgery 6 weeks ago and the put a stent in as well. Mine was 4.7cm. It took just a 2 hrs. He did it 1 hr. Less than ever before.

It was a piece of cake went home the next day. I'm sure you will do fine.

• Posted

Who had thoracic aortic aneurysm repair surgery? I want to hear those stories. Wondering what makes them decide between open heart and the endovascular method.
    • Posted

Jon is 60 and he doesn't want constant regular surveillance and the fact that eventually the keyhole option will leak meaning another surgery. The open is riskier, longer recovery but a permanent solution as stent is stitched into place and therefore can not move. Being 60 he feels that the open is the better option for him. Good luck with your decision.

• Posted

Hi James, 

My mom Carlene just came homne from the hospital, she had a AAA, it started out as back pain and by the next day it had moved to her grion. She drove herself to the clinic about a mile fromn her home where she collasped and went into a sezuire and was rushed to the hospital about a mile away. They went in through her groin on both sides and repaired it and placed a stint. She is one lucky lady. She would love to talk with you all about her experince.

• Posted

Carlene, you are a very plucky lady and a surviver, how big was your Aneurism and how do you feel now, was your operation an Endovascular, my problem is it's a Fenstrated type where the surgeon has to also insert a graft and stent on to one of my kidneys hence the 5 hour op, it's quite complicated, in one sense I am looking forward to having it done as until I have it and recover I'm not allowed to drive which is very frustrating and I can't even book a holiday so roll on the 12th April, Hope you are fine, James 

• Posted

Hi James, this is what I remember of that night, had a pain in my lower back then it went around to the  front of my groin, the pain was bad, so i got myself dressed, drove acouple of blocks to the clinic, they took me in right away, then i remember the Dr saving dont sit down we are going out to the lobby, and i said no because i was dizzy, little di know i was having a seizer. next remember some calling my name opened my eyes to ems guys woring on me. then out again till i got to the hospital when the vas. surg. said we cant wait. Dont remember anything else till i woke up in the hospital room. People including my Dr told me to stop smoking, but did i, heck no. Dummy me.Never even heard of a AAA except insurance co. lol  God has a purpose for the ones who have lived thru this. Mine is to spent as much time with my family as i can and not work my self to death. If i go back to work, it;s going to be part time, Have to go evey 6 months to have a CT scan to make sure every thing is still in the right place its device that is the same shape as my aortic vain its a stent. Also have a blood clot in my upper left shoulder, so i take asprin every day, go to my primary Dr on the 27th of this month, to find out want i can and cant do. Will let know.You take care of your self along with every one else that has made it thru. Love you all Carlene in Washington. PS making to my 74th birthday tomorrow, yea!!!!!!!!
    • Posted

I really need to learn how to type LOL
  • Posted

Hi James's , my husband had his evar on 9th march in st thomas , he was out next day , his was 6.9 and was a long 8 weeks of finding out to the op but all went well , he is 65 but didn't want the open surgery , glad he didn't as heard it takes months and months to get over it , wish you well for your op .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.