At last my Gallbladdr is gone!

Posted , 11 users are following.

I went in yesterday for my GB op and its now gone!!! Its been a long 6 month wait but oh so worth the wait. Everything went so smoothly. The staff really know how to make you feel at ease. I had been told pre op that I only had 1 single large stone and no inflammation. Well guess what? I large stone and lots of smaller ones. Also there was a lot of inflammtion all round the gallbladder so it needed to come out smile No wonder I could only eat veg and porridge!  I could have come home yesterday evening but because I felt a bit nauseaus they suggested I stayed in overnight. The nausea soon settled. I have just got home. Im feeling very tired but then I have ME as well so thats not all due to the GB. I have been so surprised at how little wound pain I have got. The worst was this morning with the shoulder pain and in my side but this is due to the gas they pump you with. Its not excruciating but just  comes on and off with me its a bit like stitch like I had as a child. But I walked about as much as poss and it does help. I even had half a baked potato and some ham for lunch. I havent been able to tolerate meat at all. Non of that nagging pain afterwards ether smile  Mind you I trimmed off any fat! cant sleep on my side but slept inclined and  on my back last night which  is something I couldnt do before the op. I coudnt tolerate any pressure on my back. I will keep you updated as I progress as I found this site has helped me so much to know what to expect. So  please try  dont worry if you have yours op  coming up for me it has been a lot less painful than I thought, and its so nice to be rid of that constant nagging pain.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

DAY THREE

Well things are still  improving . The four sites where the cameras etc went in look very good  no oozing through patches and when im laying in bed I get no pain at all from them. I am also finding it easier getting in and out of bed.  a

Also when walking around I get  very little discomfort  unless I forget and twist or bend down. One of the worst things at the moment is my back in the mornings. I am having to sleep sitting up  in bed as I defintly cant lay on my right side or the left but I am sleeping well. I  am just taking two tramadol first thing and two before I got to bed  and thats all im needing . I have slept away the last two days  but what I cant get over is when im laying down in bed the feeling of having no pain is amazing! With the back I get up and have a hotwater bottle  on it and this seems to ease it after an hour.

I am still getting sharp stabby pains in my right shoulder but Im not worried about them Im was told I had a lot of inflammation all around the GB so im guessing this will all settle down given time. I do have the odd bout of nausea and I seem to have a lot of acid in my mouth first thing but again it is still early days.

I am eating very very small amounts but oh my how wonderful to eat! I am sticking to really soft things. Yesterday was a bad gas day but at least its moving and because I havent been able to eat anything aprt from veg and porridge I guess my tummy is a little over whelmed with the fact I am eating other things. Fish pie yesterday it was amazing!!!  I find the best thing is to be taking little walks  around the house that gets rid of the gas quiet well. Also using a hot water bottle when its very crampy helps.

I must say I really thought id be in a lot more pain and disfort than I am. I have very little energy but then a lot of that is down to my ME anyway so that is normal for me.

Hoping today will be another step forward smile

• Posted

Day 6 to day. Pain wise its been a breeze. I really didnt think  that I would get so little pain from the wound sites. They are all healed well but still got covers on.  I am getting a  sort of nagging in my right side just start of ribs and below although its not pain just more achy. Its  more or less where the pain was before but I am guessing that i still have inflammation in there as the surgeon said it was inflammed around the gallbladder as well! It was like trying to get blood out of a stone and I felt like information wasnt being given freely. I will see my own Gp in a week or so and hopefully find out more.I am feeling nauseas when i get hungry but also  an hour or so after I eat but this isnt bad and if i eat something small it does go off. I am sticking to low fat and eating soft things like fish pie and cereals with  soya milk . I am taking it very easy and not being silly as for 6 months i have hardly eaten anything so I know my sysytem will take time to get back. This morning is first time I have had a BM. I have been taking laxido as felt like some of the nausea was because I hadnt been for a week. Sorry if  TMI but colour is still not normal still yellow.

Im starting to be able to lie on my side at night but not all the time. Pressure on my  upper right Quadrant on my back still a little tender at times but not horrendous like was before smile

I would love to hear from anyone if this all sounds right. Im sure it is and im asking too much  as only day 6. I feel so much better  but just interested to hear if others  have experienced any of these things.

Thanks smile

• Posted

One thing I forgot to mention was I do get  a sweet/salty  taste in my mouth around the time the nausea starts. I also sweat a little.Would this be the bile ?
    • Posted

Hi Jane these are normal side effects for most people. As far as I can remember bile is a bitter metallic taste. It's early days and your body is adjusting to working without your gallbladder. Be gentle with yourself. It will settle in time. Constipation is also a common side effect and may be contributing to the nausea and taste. Take care and try not to worry. All normal and the yellow stool too. X
    • Posted

Hi ace, Thanks so much. I am sure your right and I agree it is still early days. I suppose im a being a little impatient. In fact my MUm came round just now and told me off for doing too much and she is right. You start to feel a bit better and get carried away.  I gotta listen to my body more and slow the pace down.

Thanks for your reply it has put my mind at ease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.