At my wit's end

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all,

Looking for some help regarding my situation. I've drank between one to two bottles of wine for 3 years now and decided it was time to get help.

Went to my GP who referred me to an alcohol service. Went through the questions they asked and was basically told because I don't drink of a morning me hold down a job I'm not eligible for Librium. (I start drinking at 6 after work). Which I can deal with but I told the clinic I will not be able to cut down from this limit without help.

The alcohol team told me they would be in touch with an appointment for me... I am still waiting a month on. Rang last night and I was told to ring back again on Friday if I haven't heard anything.

Went to the GP today who, again, told me I couldn't be prescribed anything it was only the alcohol clinic who can do this.

I have consequently read up on Nalmefene (Selincro) and am convinced this is the medicine for me but for the life of me am unable to get a prescription.

I'm now in the position of being in limbo waiting for a lackadaisical alcohol centre to get in touch with me and not knowing where to turn?

It's as if I'm not priority because I'm not opening a bottle of a morning, but in all serious I can say my drinking is sabotaging my every day life.

Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone combatted this?

Help would be appreciated.

Many thanks for your time.

0 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well done in your persistence. Fingers crossed this all works out for you and please keep us posted ..
    • Posted

Feels like a hard slog, but I'm sure totally worth it at the end.

Thank you

• Posted

Unfortunately GP's are lost all of power over any presciption for alcohol related prolems now. Ive been through it for 2 years now.

Do you feel unwell if you dont drink in the evening?

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Can honestly say I wouldn't know what it was like not to drink of an evening as I drink every night - but the thought of not drinking would me irritable, make me very antsy and I would be very annoyed that I didn't have a glass of red wine - all "symptoms" subside after the first glass.

• Posted

Hi Missy, not great, ended up drinking two bottles of wine and of course felt dreadful today. Limited myself to a bottle and a half tonight. Trying to be positive and telling myself it's early days, I can't expect miracles from Nalmefene just yet. Taking the tablet 2 hours before I drink as prescribed and I'm told by others to continue with this routine and I will see a difference.

Hanging on in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.